SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-12-07, 10:04 AM   #1
husky03
Mega Poster

Default choke cable?

After being out on the bike yesterday i decided that it was time to get the carbs off and give them a clean and check-the bike has not been running smoothly and the choke has been non existant when i've used it-i found that the choke cables into the carbs were really minging-the rear one wouldn't come out and when i finally did get it out the carbs the spring was broken, covered in a rust coloured gunk, and the slider came off the cable-
if i buy a new choke cable does it come complete just ready to fit into the carbs?Since i've got the carbs of the bike are there any jobs that i'd be aswell as doing also-I was thinking about doing the valve clearances?

cheers
husky
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 11:51 AM   #2
BILLY

Default Re: choke cable?

Yes it does! but don't forget to grease the plungers before you refit it! Also if I remember correctly you need to replace the o ring seals as well.
Old 02-12-07, 12:28 PM   #3
Fraser24

Sorry to contradict the above but, I bought new set of choke cables for my curvy on friday from Suzuki genuine part in unbroken packaging and i only got the cables without the springs or plungers. Also, I don't think putting grease on the choke plungers is a good idea as the air/fuel mixture passing through the choke chamber passage will wash the grease into places you don't want it . Just my opinion and happy to be told otherwise.
Old 02-12-07, 01:12 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Grease is soluble in fuel so will be washed away quickly, obviously packing the side of the carb with copper slip is a no-no though.

Fill the cables with as much grease as you can get into them, and the splitter, and the springs behind the plungers, that way they won't stick but the grease won't work its way into the fuel passages.
Copperslip the screws too.
Old 02-12-07, 01:14 PM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Done this a few times now for myself and mates. Order a choke cable and you will just get the choke cable! You will need to order the spring too. Take apart what you have there and give it a good clean while you are waiting for the cable and spring.

Not to sure about greasing the plungers, never needed to do that myself. Don't forget to oil the new choke cable though, and a delicate (dab with a paint brush) covering with ACF-50 on any exposed parts will help prevent rust and corrosion.

Hope it helps.
Old 02-12-07, 01:22 PM   #6
husky03
Mega Poster

cheers guys -i'm gonna get the stuff ordered today.

husky
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 07:11 PM   #7
BILLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY View Post
Yes it does! but don't forget to grease the plungers before you refit it! Also if I remember correctly you need to replace the o ring seals as well.
Sorry I didn't meen to misslead! I ment it's ready to go straight into the bike! The springs and the o rings you need to order seperatly.