SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-03-21, 08:59 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default laptop battery weirdness

I haven't used my old Toshiba laptop in a couple of weeks but dusted it off last night. There were several Win10 updates needed so I let them go ahead. A little later I noticed my battery (a larger capacity unit) was at 100% charge and I disconnected the charger and, immediately, the laptop died.
It wouldn't power up again unless it was back on the charger but then indicated full charge. I suspected the updates and spent a while rolling them all back to no avail. I dug out an old battery, charged it and the laptop ran fine on battery power. I have a fully charged laptop battery (apparently) that the laptop no longer accepts. Weird.
Old 18-03-21, 12:42 PM   #2
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Default Re: laptop battery weirdness

Battery is goosed I suspect. Had the same, in a couple of laptops now. I surmised it's along the lines of the mains power isn't being bled off into the battery as it can't hold charge. Whatever it is in the laptop that monitors charge is just seeing that the battery isn't taking any so must be full.

Ste
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-21, 02:13 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

I had an Asus which did a similar thing, battery said full but it held almost nothing. Having read up on the problem it appeared that simply disconnecting/removing the battery for 30mins or so might solve it, and in this case it did.
Old 19-03-21, 01:32 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

get a 12v bulb with some wires and crocodile clips and connect to the battery + and - this should discharge the battery. once the battery is empty plug back into laptop and charge. if that dont work then battery is fubar.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-21, 02:44 PM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
get a 12v bulb with some wires and crocodile clips and connect to the battery + and - this should discharge the battery. once the battery is empty plug back into laptop and charge. if that dont work then battery is fubar.
that would probably be worthwhile if it was a simply a series of Li cells but they decided to make battery packs "smart"
https://www.electroschematics.com/la...ecrets-part-1/