SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-04-05, 04:33 PM   #1
csimmo

Default HEADLIGHT BULB UPGRADE SV650S

I have an sv650s x model 1999 and would like to upgrade my headlamp bulbs as at the moment my front fairing is off and can get to the bulbs quite easily. Can any one recommend a decent bulb how much are they? Where can they be bought from and what is the correct type of bulb i need? is it a H4 as looks similar to my cars headlight bulb ?? any comments and recommendations will be appreciated.

i have seen busters selling rainbow strobe headlight covers for 12.99 has any one got them fitted are are they any good

these ones ----

These rainbow strobe headlight bulb covers are an attractive way to enhance your standard white light headlamp bulbs. They feature high tech dichroic filters which create a colourful beam effect and by doing so aids visibility, especially in rain or foggy condition

Thanks

Craig
Old 24-04-05, 04:40 PM   #2
Anonymous

Ive just put GT150s on my GS but I assume they will come in H4 too. They are meant to be a good upgrade in power whereas some of the silver ones are just for looks more. The GT150s are whiter as well.
Available from all good chav 'tuning' websites!

I assume the rainbows are the rings that fit around the bulbs? I have seen the rainbows on Alan (nee Geek) SVs thou. Personally I like to keep colours to a minimum but I must say if you like the effct they actiually work well. Just put subtle extra colours in the lights. They do seem to make a bike with them stand out.
Old 24-04-05, 04:51 PM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

The Rainbow things are rubbish and cut down the light emitted from the lens. Depending on how much money you have to spare, then either Osram Silver stars, Philips Ultra vision, or if you want the blue type light, then Philips Ultra blue. if you have lots of money, then PIAA Ultrawhites.

Stay clear of the really cheap brands that you find on Ebay and suchlike, as they have poor UV filtering and will turn the plastic lens of the light, yellow.

Yes, you are correct in thinking they are H4.

HTH
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-05, 05:05 PM   #4
wheelnut

Just put 12 volt 60 / 55 H4 in, dont waste money on these new fangled laser lights. You will pay a fortune and the lights from standard car bulbs are ok.

Normal SV lamps are ony 35 watt, so straight away you have twice as much bright light.

There is also no need to remove fairings
Old 24-04-05, 05:08 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut
Just put 12 volt 60 / 55 H4 in, dont waste money on these new fangled laser lights. You will pay a fortune and the lights from standard car bulbs are ok.

Normal SV lamps are ony 35 watt, so straight away you have twice as much bright light.

There is also no need to remove fairings
They are 45/45w as standard. You have never seen a bike with PIAA's in. They are astounding, but £80 a pair!!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-05, 05:40 PM   #6
wheelnut

I have seen PIAA lights, but at £80??????????/

Normal H4 will cost you £8
Old 25-04-05, 10:50 PM   #7
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Ok guys- so wheres the best place to buy em??

another Q? I have seen some R1's in my area with blue sidelights is this legal-(looks kissy !)
Old 26-04-05, 01:28 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

I've used these a couple of times for bulbs. They're not the cheapest but always reliable.

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

I'd suggest either the Osram Silverstars or Phillips UltraVision.
They are noticeably better than the "standard" Osram H4 which I had in my Toyota (Silverstars anyway, probably little to choose between Osram/Phillips). It's not so much the brightness (which is better but not dramatic), but the clarity of the beam seems better in the car anyway.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-05, 01:55 PM   #9
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

anyone ever tried a H4 HID conversion, £350 for the kit comes with two bulbs & starters. You just have to wire them up.

I think the only problem is that HID lights need a self levling system that does not exist on SV's would be cool though but expensive.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote