SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-04-09, 04:56 PM   #1
firecat

Default Buying an SV - 'S' v 'N'.

Hi,

my wife and I are relatively new to motorcycling, I passed my DAS in november last year and she passed her test on a 125 last month. She currently rides a honda xr125 and is looking for her first bigger bike which will have to be restricted to 33 bhp for two years. The SV650 seems to fit the bill as a first bike. She has tried one at a dealer and it seems to fit her well and not being too heavy gave her confidence. We do not want to buy new and are looking for some advice on which model/price to go for. Although the s models look good she is looking for a more upright position, can you change the set up on these to the non s model arrangement? Hope you can give us some advice, T&C
Old 26-04-09, 05:07 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Advice please!

ABM Comfort Kit, would probably sort the riding position out.

But IMHO its far less hassle just to buy the naked version in the first place if its an upright riding position that she wants.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-09, 05:07 PM   #3
shonadoll

The naked sv has an upright position, the s model has clip ons and is a much sportier position. It's a great bike to restrict too, works really well. It's my first big bike, and I'm v happy with it.
Old 26-04-09, 05:55 PM   #4
Old Git

Firecat, I have shared bike with my son, both passed test in Feb, and he is restricted for the 2 years, have the S model curvy. Sure the position is sporty, but even thou it maked my old bones ache abit at first, once you learn to ride it I would not have it any other way.

Bike is super easy to restrict, and still goes very well, from my point of view highly recommended.
I like the look of both the pointy & curvy, as with others on here whatever you get, I would look to get the front fork springs changed as a 1st must do.
Did mine 2 weeks ago (to progressive) and the diff. is tremendous.

Get the SV and have a whale of a time. Ride safe.
Old Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-09, 06:07 PM   #5
dawn07

I've got the sv650s [my first 'big bike'] and love it to bits. To be honest though, I wish I'd gone for the naked, as the riding position is more comfortable on longer journeys. Enjoy!
Old 26-04-09, 09:23 PM   #6
Nicky S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Buying an SV - 'S' v 'N'.

I've got the sv650 N for my first big bike and love it to bits. im also on a 33bhp to and she runs fine.

btw welcome to the .org

Nicky S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-09, 09:40 PM   #7
Jamiebridges123

Everyone talks like the SV650s has an uncomfortable riding position.. compared to my old RS125, it's a bloody 5 star hotel, and in comparison to the SV650 style of riding Z750, it's no worse overall, infact probably slightly better..

Get the Naked 99-03 if it's your first bike.. cheaper and if you drop it, it's not too bad - Also, the naked is slightly easier to ride because of the upright bars. S is probably better if you're doing loads of motorway. Either way both are light enough to do a full lock U-turn at 2mph if you can balance enough

Expect to pay £1500 for a good condition Curvy SV.

Welcome aboard
Old 02-05-09, 10:43 AM   #8
firecat

Hi, thanks one and all for your comments, my wife is really set on an SV so your comments are appreciated. Is there anything in particular to look out for when buying one?
Cheers Trev
Old 02-05-09, 11:05 AM   #9
ScottWilson

Hello Firecat!
For buying a used bike, if your not that confidant, may be an idea to take someone with you who knows the score. Saying that everything is basically on display on the SV's, on both N and S models. With that leaks, corrosion, lumps and bumps etc etc are pretty easy to spot. Main things I'd check are if the fork legs are wet (bad), wear on chain and sprocket, wear on brake pads and disks and condition of tyres. If you can, get the dealer/owner to start it up from cold as any niggles are easier to listen for. Pretty straight forward.

I'm on my second 650s at the moment. Great bikes!

Best of luck!