SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-05-09, 04:17 PM   #1
4eyes2wheels

Question Sat Nav Power Adapter

I have a power cable adapter on my bike (fitted by the previous owner) that was used to run heated gloves or waist coats. I really want to power a Tom Tom 910 from this adapter but have no idea where to get the right lead or converter. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Old 16-05-09, 06:22 PM   #2
joshmac

Default Re: Sat Nav Power Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyes2wheels View Post
I have a power cable adapter on my bike (fitted by the previous owner) that was used to run heated gloves or waist coats. I really want to power a Tom Tom 910 from this adapter but have no idea where to get the right lead or converter. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
If you've got a car cigarette socket power lead with your Tomtom, then one of these is what you're after. Just connect the red and black wires to +ve and -ve terminals on the battery respectively et voila!
You won't need any converters as the bike battery is 12v too.

HTH
Old 16-05-09, 06:34 PM   #3
4eyes2wheels

Sounds like a plan - thanks!
Old 16-05-09, 06:50 PM   #4
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Check the voltage range the tomtom adapter will accept. The SV chucks out about 15v which is enough to fry some 12v devices. I got hold of a 12v regualted power supply so I could provide a relatively stable 12 feed to my powered kit with sensitive needs.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-09, 07:13 PM   #5
joshmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Check the voltage range the tomtom adapter will accept. The SV chucks out about 15v which is enough to fry some 12v devices. I got hold of a 12v regualted power supply so I could provide a relatively stable 12 feed to my powered kit with sensitive needs.
Hadn't thought of that. Although surely if you use a 12V fuse, it'd prevent that from happening.

Last edited by joshmac; 16-05-09 at 07:16 PM.
Old 16-05-09, 07:15 PM   #6
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmac View Post
Hadn't thought of that. Although surely if you use a 12V fuse that'll prevent that from happening.
Nope.

That will stop it going over current, not over voltage. Actually before the pedants jump in it will stop it going over power, but either way it will not stop it going over voltage.
Old 16-05-09, 07:23 PM   #7
joshmac

I thought the tomtom chargers had a power regualtor circtuit in them to stop that happening anyway. Meh, I'm probably wrong
Old 16-05-09, 07:34 PM   #8
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Quote:
I thought the tomtom chargers had a power regualtor circtuit in them to stop that happening anyway. Meh, I'm probably wrong
It probably will, but you'll have to check the acceptable input range. Most for cars are limited to 13.8v peak. Suzuki bike are somewhat notorious for high charging voltages. Accumen had to modify their over-voltage sensors for Suziki as they kept alarming.
Old 16-05-09, 07:54 PM   #9
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Nope.

That will stop it going over current, not over voltage. Actually before the pedants jump in it will stop it going over power, but either way it will not stop it going over voltage.
Pedant: over current, not over power. Current provides the heating effect, which is what makes fuses blow. Irrelevant i know
Old 16-05-09, 08:45 PM   #10
thefallenangel

Quote:
Hadn't thought of that. Although surely if you use a 12V fuse, it'd prevent that from happening.
1. Fuses are current not voltage rated

2. If you put an in-line fuse it won't stop the slightly higher voltage. I.e if you get 15v out of the battery and it's 12v +/- 10% you'll mess the socket up. But if you put a meter across the terminals first it'll tell you for definite.