SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-05-09, 11:33 AM   #21
Owenski

Default Re: Daytime MOT - Police view

my understanding as if it had a light front or rear then it needed the other (ie if you had the back you need a front and vice verses).

Indicators are a seperate issue, if you have them then they are legally required to work. But there is not a legal requirement for you to have them in the first place.

I've not heard the switchgear part before, how could they tell with out stopping you if you had one or not.
Old 13-05-09, 11:45 AM   #22
timwilky
Mega Poster

The issue of switchgear comes down to the disconnected argument, if there is switch gear then the lights must have been disconnected and therefore not eligible for a daytime only MOT.

So in theory, you should have a dedicated race type loom that does not have any wiring for lights etc.
Old 13-05-09, 12:45 PM   #23
fraser01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch00 View Post
Any decent copper that didn't know the answer there and then should ask for advice from the control room before making any desions. I dont know anything about daytime MOTs but have asked for advice in the past before making choices.

Ch00
I'm with you ch00, If I have not been quiet sure I have always called someone in the know. We are only human at the end of the day and trying to remember everything we are expected to know is impossible.
Old 13-05-09, 01:29 PM   #24
Daimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
The issue of switchgear comes down to the disconnected argument, if there is switch gear then the lights must have been disconnected and therefore not eligible for a daytime only MOT.

So in theory, you should have a dedicated race type loom that does not have any wiring for lights etc.

Or jsut remove the switchgear and wiring and its not like the copper will know.

I've just written the facts form a bike MOT station, and what they said when I asked about turning a fairly new bike into a track bike.

Brake, and horn, and indicator if switch gear is present.
Old 13-05-09, 01:31 PM   #25
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo View Post
Well your on the road, so common sense dictates that its a good idea to let the vehicle behined know you are slowing.

Local bike MOT tester said about it when I asked this exact question.

Kinda makes sense, "im just gonna hit the brakes WACK goes the car up your ass cos he didn't have a clue you were braking"

But then its common sense, so being in the UK, its probably not the case.
Oh I agree completely; having nearly rear ended a cage who didn't have working brake lights I think you'd be nuts not to, even if it wasn't a "requirement". If I was ever riding a track bike without one on the road I would be leaving an awful lot of stopping distance and giving lots of "slow down" hand signals. I don't think I'd ever actually build a road bike without them, even if it's allowed.
Old 16-05-09, 09:04 AM   #26
Demonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonz View Post
I rang the MOT testing station a couple of days ago to check my greenlaner. Maybe the rules are different again for these bikes but he said I didnt need to fit indicators back on but I needed a full size plate. It has brake lights, headlight and horn. It's booked in for Saturday so Ill ask some more questions and find out if there are any issues.

So list as per the local tester.

Headlight - night use
Brakelight - night use
Correct Size Plate - must have
Rear reflector - must have

He wasnt sure about the number plate light though...
Old 16-05-09, 09:29 AM   #27
Dicky Ticker

As far as I am aware any light or part of,i.e. wiring, switch or loom that is fitted must be in working order for an MOT. As for as use is concerned,type approval is granted for the vehicle at first registration and to deviate from this may be a contravention of the Construction and Use Regs if the vehicle is to be used on the public highway.
Any modified vehicle that is for use on a public highway must have an engineers report and inspection by Vehicle Inspectorate before being legal. Remember that even using a vehicle on private land if the public has access will require some sort of liability insurance and these are questions asked by insurers.
Not as cut and dried as you would think if you want to be 100% legal,on the other hand you take your chances on private land
MOT is only a safety check not gospel that the vehicle is road legal and you could ride out of an MOT Station and get nicked under Construction and Use Reg for a defective vehicle
Old 16-05-09, 05:54 PM   #28
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
...Any modified vehicle that is for use on a public highway must have an engineers report and inspection by Vehicle Inspectorate before being legal...
This can't be true. Otherwise EVERY one of us who's modified our bikes would need such a report or we'd be getting nicked left right and centre.

The fact is that daylight MOT's exist and allow vehicles to legally travel on the road. The question is what does a daylight MOT require to be on or off the bike.
Old 16-05-09, 06:55 PM   #29
Dicky Ticker

I am not talking about cosmetics but changing major parts and notifying your insurance company you have done this.
e.g. Changing front forks and modifying the yoke or fitting a different swing arm,your insurance company may not accept this done by a private individual,unless a qualified engineer has approved it.
Many people make such changes and leave themselves open to the insurance companies making their insurance void in the case of an accident if the insurance engineer finds modifications that haven't been approved
A prime example being my last tumble,I am an engineer[ONC] but had to take the bike to a dealer after repairing it all myself to get it "Signed off" before I was insured to ride it again.
Possibly I am being a bit OTT on the legal side of things but I have 40years experience of plant and transport engineering and know of the loopeholes that insurance and vehicle inspectorate can use to have you prosecuted or as a get out.
Even using the wrong type of nuts and bolts is enough.
Old 16-05-09, 07:53 PM   #30
Demonz

I know if its a cat b and repaired then it has to be tested before putting back on the road, but I didnt think change or forks, swingarm ect was necessary?? Now I need to check as I cut and welded the tail end of my bike and I want to put it back on the road. Would this need checking for instance I wonder?