SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-06-17, 05:14 PM   #81
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyonen had a stuck oil filter recently?

official service manual says first at 600 miles, second at 4000 miles, 3rd at 7500 miles, fourth at 11000 miles, so as you can see its every 3500 miles. yup the book says change filter at 600 then 11000 which would indicate skip two then replace but its not clear on how often after.

even worse if your 'giving it the beans' after warm up. higher revving for fun rides creates more oil pressure rather than gentle commuting, this will open the popper quicker if the filter cant pass the flow due to being blocked more. higher revving also destroys the 'cleaning' and 'in grade' additives quicker. its the shearing in the gearbox/clutch that destroys oil.

as you say though different strokes...

mind you i hit the limiter a fair bit on my rides so i want max oil flow.

Last edited by Bibio; 12-06-17 at 05:20 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 06:32 PM   #82
Chris_SVS

^As per above, rub some of your fresh oil onto the seal before screwing on the new filter. Stops the seal pinching and potentially splitting before the filter is tight.

Just finished oil and filter change on my K6 as it happens, went smooth enough but the oil should have been changed many miles ago! filter was battered externally but looked alright.

Tis in the bin And I now have a whiteboard on the wall with all the relevant service info, it's in front of me every time I start the bike

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 12-06-17 at 06:33 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 07:29 PM   #83
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
official service manual says first at 600 miles, second at 4000 miles, 3rd at 7500 miles, fourth at 11000 miles, so as you can see its every 3500 miles.
Those pesky Europeans and other countries that use kilometers get to go 6,000km between their changes, I refuse to be penalised just because we use Imperial measures over here

Semi-seriously, it would be good if the UK had an oil analysis service aimed at the consumer like they have in the US, where for about a tenner you can get a detailed analysis of the wear patterns in your own engine according to your own type of journeys and riding style. I'd certainly do that once per vehicle, just out of curiosity.

Last edited by Craig380; 12-06-17 at 07:41 PM.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 08:16 PM   #84
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post

Semi-seriously, it would be good if the UK had an oil analysis service aimed at the consumer like they have in the US, where for about a tenner you can get a detailed analysis of the wear patterns in your own engine according to your own type of journeys and riding style. I'd certainly do that once per vehicle, just out of curiosity.
we do, they are called miller oils

it tells you nothing though as engines wear through time. stick to 3.5k for the oil and a filter every change and you'll be right. a penny a mile is not going to break the bank.

on the sunday when i get home from a ride i stick money in a jar which helps when it comes to service/tyre/insurance etc.etc time. my running costs are around 10p a mile over and above petrol. raiding the jar for tyres and servicing is not so much a blow on the old wallet
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-17, 12:25 PM   #85
mep

Mine was stuck last oil change. Couldn't move it with the correct wrench. Got it loose with a large pair of grips though.
mep is offline   Reply With Quote