SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-10-04, 04:52 PM   #1
coombest

Default Verdict on TRE Removal!!

Right, just thought I'd let all of you lovely people know what I have found after having removed my TRE mod.
I only removed it because I didn't want any arguments over validity of warranty, etc. as it had to go in to be 'looked at!'

The ride before I had taken it out was on a damp road and as was the ride after I'd taken it out (they were the same section of road and the conditions were almost identical.

Before TRE removal, I was spinning up the rear tyre when exiting roundbouts (4 of them on one 5 mile or so stretch!) in first gear, second gear & the start of third gear as well!!

After TRE removal I could not get the rear to spin up without really giving it a ham-fisted handful of throttle!

I then went for a ride with Ian (chutz) yesterday (after getting my bike back) and had real trouble keeping up with him! This is not normally an issue as we both know the roads we were on & ride at a similar pace... The point is that since Ian's bike is stock apart from a K&N filter & mine was pumping out 83.1bhp, with the TRE mod, in a straight line Ian hated me as I just f***ed off into the distance!

I also noticed that the fuel consumption has gone down up again! £10 would frequently get me 120 miles of varied riding quite easily with it in... Today I managed to get about 100!

I went for a blast with Leigh_Bradbury today & his bike has had similar mods to me although mine makes a couple of horses more (probably more to do with the age of our engines than anything else!).
I led the way this time & once we'd stopped Leigh pointed out that "when you opened it up on the dual carriageway, I only used 2/3rds throttle to catch up with you!" I was wringing it's neck in every gear!

Make of this what you will but 2 independant parties have pointed out that it seems slower & it also feels slower!

Guess what I'm doing to my bike this week!!!!??
Old 17-10-04, 08:38 PM   #2
snoopy

I'm going to test my 2000 SV in the next couple weeks to decide whether the TRE mod really is a heap of balls. I've done the mod and noticed no increase in power.
Old 17-10-04, 11:07 PM   #3
Dan_SV

It seems to me that some bikes respond better to it than others. Mine (year 2000) just felt a little sharper in the lower gears-but there was no huge difference. I wouldnt however remove it-as i feel it improves the response, low down power and smoothness of the SV, and makes it more direct.

Bottom line I spose is to try both-and see which you prefer the feel of.

Dan
Old 18-10-04, 03:23 PM   #4
dclifford

coombest, I noticed all of the items that you mentioned in your post. I removed mine from my K4 about 2 weeks ago. I now get about 10-15 miles less from a tank of fuel.
The kick is also back when I change up the gears. Usually 2nd, 3rd. When I say kick I mean it is like the engine is only just catching back up with the wheel again. This probably happens because there is less power.
I have not really noticed a drop in power. I didn't have anybody to compare to though.
Old 18-10-04, 10:33 PM   #5
chutz

Default tis true

Coombest speaks the truth methinks. My bike is a little perkier of late thanks to new plugs,oil and filter but Tim was definitely a little slower on hard acceleration than I am used to.I normally have to catch the poof up in the corners

I don't really understand this as according to all I know of the tre mod it only should affect less than half throttle in the first 5 gears on a k3 but this isn't what we have observed. Maybe it's coz Tim's getting a bit portly theses days!!!
Old 21-10-04, 11:40 AM   #6
chewy22

It only improves the response of the throttel in the 1st 3 gears thats why you were getting it to spin up because before its fitted your timing had been alterd out by one degree before TDC its to stop numptys looping the bike in the low gears. It does work
Old 21-10-04, 12:35 PM   #7
MavUK

TRE?
Old 21-10-04, 05:34 PM   #8
chewy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavUK
TRE?
Timing Retard Eliminator

Its a set up on our bikes programed into the ECU sets the timing out by one degree in the 1st 3 to 4 gears.Fitting a TRE usualy only consists of a small resistor, 15k on my sv1k. The ECU detects the gear you are in from the GPS gear position censor.Fitting the tre will give you back the optimum timing point again but no increase in power but you do get much better throttel responce in low down revs and in town riding.
Old 21-10-04, 07:56 PM   #9
coombest

The TRE mod on the K3> bikes affects gears 1 to 5 and not just 1 to 3.
In theory the mod will only affect the first 50% of throttle travel but, as I said - my observations and those of two others certainly points to it making a reasonable diference!
I do ride with chutz a lot and we are normally fairly evenly matched with my bike just pulling away on the straights and having ridden each other's bikes I can say with all honesty that I didn't have to 'try' as hard or wring it's neck as much to keep up with Ian when I was on my bike!
Now that I have removed the mod, I am constantly working overtime to keep up & treating it more like an in-line four with the amount of rev's I'm using!
Add to that the fact that Ian now catches up with me on the straights - not the other way round!

As I say - make of it what you will but I'm just telling it as it is!
Old 21-10-04, 08:04 PM   #10
chewy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by coombest
The TRE mod on the K3> bikes affects gears 1 to 5 and not just 1 to 3.
In theory the mod will only affect the first 50% of throttle travel but, as I said - my observations and those of two others certainly points to it making a reasonable diference!
I do ride with chutz a lot and we are normally fairly evenly matched with my bike just pulling away on the straights and having ridden each other's bikes I can say with all honesty that I didn't have to 'try' as hard or wring it's neck as much to keep up with Ian when I was on my bike!
Now that I have removed the mod, I am constantly working overtime to keep up & treating it more like an in-line four with the amount of rev's I'm using!
Add to that the fact that Ian now catches up with me on the straights - not the other way round!

As I say - make of it what you will but I'm just telling it as it is!
NOT dissing you coombest thats a very good report you are probably right about the 1st 5 gears not sure why it has been done that far up the scale. With the timeing set out on the OE set up that will explane the fuel consumption been higher.But you still dont get any more BHP just better throttel responce.