SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-06-07, 05:37 PM   #1
Westsussexbiker

Default Signing up to ask the Prime Minister to Abandon the idea of the DVLA to force 1.3 million motorcyclists to have electronic number plates

Guys
First post ever here. Ride a K6 SV 650 faired, and have been for the last year.

Lets get a few more names on this petition.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/dvlaplates/

Westsussexbiker
Old 11-06-07, 05:40 PM   #2
sarah

Default Re: Signing up to ask the Prime Minister to Abandon the idea of the DVLA to force 1.3 million motorcyclists to have electronic number plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsussexbiker View Post
Guys

what colour?

and hello
Old 11-06-07, 05:43 PM   #3
Westsussexbiker

Default Re: Signing up to ask the Prime Minister to Abandon the idea of the DVLA to force 1.3 million motorcyclists to have electronic number plates

Hi there

Its red. Will get around to sorting out my pic shortly. Been reading posts on here for over a yea, so thought I'd better post eventually...
Old 11-06-07, 05:56 PM   #4
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsussexbiker View Post
Guys

Lets get a few more names on this petition.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/dvlaplates/

Westsussexbiker
Er, what's the justification, apart from you don't want it? I don't want it either, but I can't think of a convincing argument why not.
Old 11-06-07, 05:59 PM   #5
Westsussexbiker

Isn't it enough just to not want it?

I didn't create the petition by the way, just think its a good idea!
Old 11-06-07, 06:02 PM   #6
tigersaw
Mega Poster

What references do you have to say the DVLA intends to trial this new technology, and especially on motorcycles? The only thing I can find on Google is the knee jerk scaremongery in reaction to a call from senior police officers for a radical new system.

What do you have against it anyhow?
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 06:11 PM   #7
tigersaw
Mega Poster

OK, I can answer my own question, a bit of digging reveals this:

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) has just launched a six-month study into the feasibility of making the chips compulsory specifically for motorcycles.

DVLA crime reduction officer Allan Lindenburn said the aim was to see whether the chips, called Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chips, could provide a solution to high rates of road tax evasion for motorcycles.

He said Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) currently used by police was limited because systems were usually front facing and bikes have only rear number plates.

He said: “We have looked at the problem of motorcycle Vehicle Excise Duty evasion, which is obviously higher than for any other vehicles, and we’re simply looking to address the problem.”

Critics have pointed out once the chips are fitted to bikes, the Government will find it difficult to resist pressure to fit chip readers to front facing speed cameras, allowing them to catch bikes for the first time.

Oh hang on, it came from motorcycle news.......... panic over.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 06:29 PM   #8
Westsussexbiker

As mentioned before, it is not my petition. I just happen to think its worth signing, but then when did the government ever listen to what people want?
Old 11-06-07, 06:56 PM   #9
Manguish

I'm up for it.

RFID sucks. Lets let them track us everywhere why not.
Old 11-06-07, 07:07 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
DVLA crime reduction officer Allan Lindenburn said the aim was to see whether the chips, called Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chips, could provide a solution to high rates of road tax evasion for motorcycles.

He said Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) currently used by police was limited because systems were usually front facing and bikes have only rear number plates.
Yes, it's from MCN, but still. Big up me for theorising an RFID solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manguish View Post
I'm up for it.

RFID sucks. Lets let them track us everywhere why not.
Not quite, RFID allows them to track plates, but they'd have to implement RFID everywhere first too.

So ANPR with forward facing cameras is a problem. The solution, is to implement something that will cost the tax payer billions (it'll be quoted at millions first though). As an alternative, has anyone suggested just turning the van's around?? KISS applies here me thinks.

Online petitions aren't worth the paper they're printed on (yes, that was intentional). The government has already shown it's disregard for them.

Get MAD or someone to organise a protest ride and I'm there.