SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-11-08, 05:22 PM   #1
jimmy-james

Default Pictorial and in depth guide to Valve clearance checks and re-shimming.

Nothing to do with me but was looking for a pictorial guide and stumbled across this one. (for the curvey incidently)

HERE!

I presume the spec is the same but the site is based on the American version of the SV by an American author and its quite good for those (like me) who like actual pictures instead of drawings.

hope its of use to some of you DIY'ers.

Last edited by jimmy-james; 26-11-08 at 05:27 PM.
Old 26-11-08, 05:29 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pictorial and in depth guide to Valve clearance checks and re-shimming.

I'm not keen on bluepoofs series of tutorials, it's a list of how she's done it with the attitude that it's the correct and only way to do a job.
Old 26-11-08, 05:30 PM   #3
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Pictorial and in depth guide to Valve clearance checks and re-shimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I'm not keen on bluepoofs series of tutorials, it's a list of how she's done it with the attitude that it's the correct and only way to do a job.
+ 1
Old 26-11-08, 05:32 PM   #4
jimmy-james

Never seen them or used them before but seemed quite good to my un-trained eyes. I will bow to your superior knowledge, just thought it might be handy thats all!
Old 26-11-08, 05:40 PM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-james View Post
Never seen them or used them before but seemed quite good to my un-trained eyes....

....just thought it might be handy thats all!
Aye, and it is.
Old 26-11-08, 05:42 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-james View Post
Never seen them or used them before but seemed quite good to my un-trained eyes. I will bow to your superior knowledge, just thought it might be handy thats all!
Some of the stuff is, some of it isn't. In my mind it can appear misleading to someone not familiar with it though.

eg.

Carb balancing one talks b0llocks and overcomplicates matters for no reason.
Chain replacement one tells you to cut the chain off before cracking the front sprocket nut which is utter f##king stupidity. And it makes no mention of the fact that a properly riveted chain might just be a good idea...
Rear brake pads: Oh yeah just beast them pistons back in with pipe pliers... won't do any harm at all pushing them c0cked off to one side in the bore... Or maybe mention checking the fluid isn't overfilled after putting new pads in.
Front brake: "the vertical pin will slide out" ... yeah jog on lol ... ever ridden your bike in winter?

See what I mean?
Old 27-11-08, 09:32 AM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
+ another one.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-08, 09:59 AM   #8
startrek.steve

Jeez! dont think i'll bother!
My Gs400 was lovely to do the shims, shims on top of the bucket, nice shim tool to hold down the bucket while you replace the shim. Think I only ever replaced shims twice in 79000 miles... Oil change every 1500.
Steve