SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-09, 02:08 PM   #1
DANINPLYMOUTH

Default Bluetooth intercoms.

Hi looking at maybe getting a set of bluetooth intercoms so i can talk to the other half on long journeys.
Just wanted to know if anyone has tried any and what there opinions are.
Looking at maybe the chatterbox xbi or scala jobby
thanks
Old 25-04-09, 02:38 PM   #2
Tomcat

Default Re: Bluetooth intercoms!!

We got the scala. Great for pillion, not so great bike to bike. Also fu**ed up the tom tom sat nav. The idea was lead rider use sat nav, in communication with second rider, but the sat nav really went on a wobble and it took us a lot of emails with tom tom to sort it.

I personally wouldnt recommend it for bike to bike, its good if you are riding close, but as soon as you get any distance, or a corner etc between you it loses signal and takes quite a while to find signal again. Would recommend for pillion to rider though.

They are good for listening to music through, once you have got the headphones set up correctly, but the external wire seems a bit flimsy for my liking. All in all I use mine as a headphone system for my ipod, we do not connect up with them. I don't think I would buy them again, but then we ride bike to bike. Hope this helps!
Old 25-04-09, 02:48 PM   #3
DANINPLYMOUTH

Thanks. Mine will only be used for rider to pillion+listening to music
Old 26-04-09, 07:47 AM   #4
U-WUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
We got the scala. Great for pillion, not so great bike to bike. Also fu**ed up the tom tom sat nav. The idea was lead rider use sat nav, in communication with second rider, but the sat nav really went on a wobble and it took us a lot of emails with tom tom to sort it.

I personally wouldnt recommend it for bike to bike, its good if you are riding close, but as soon as you get any distance, or a corner etc between you it loses signal and takes quite a while to find signal again. Would recommend for pillion to rider though.

They are good for listening to music through, once you have got the headphones set up correctly, but the external wire seems a bit flimsy for my liking. All in all I use mine as a headphone system for my ipod, we do not connect up with them. I don't think I would buy them again, but then we ride bike to bike. Hope this helps!
Seems a LOT of money for rider to pillion use. We looked at a Scala, but hten ran out of money. I reckon we'll probably wait a few years until the technology is more reliable.
If it is just rider-pillion+music you want, I think there are better value systems out there. But couldn't be sure, cos I.ve got bugger all personal experience.