SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-09-07, 11:25 PM   #1
rob13

Default HIPS & EPC assessor careers

Has anyone on here considered this or is from a surveying background who could give their own opinion of the role? I dont want this thread to be another debate over the pros/cons of the scheme just whether or not it appears to be an opportunity to be a career and whether it really is a "stepping stone" into the world of surveying as some places appear to suggest. The addition of a bolt on pack is meant to secure a qualification in valuation surveying.

Any info?
Old 27-09-07, 09:04 AM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Re: HIPS & EPC assessor careers

Mate i considered this when i left the property industry. They sent me info for courses... that if i'd gone on now would be worth nothing.

The Office of The Deputy Prim Minister was where the courses were being offered from and they still keep sending me emails offering me places on courses.

TBH i cant see the HIPS being around much longer. Once a good few 4 bedroom houses have been sold as 2 bed/2 study and everyone makes a mockery of need for them they'll just be another useless piece of legislation that has fallen by the wayside.

It was an attempt to introduce a new stealth tax on property but they didnt think it thru in their haste to get their hands on some of the cash.

So my advice, and just imho of course, is dont waste your time pursuing a career that wont exist in a few years time.

hth
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-07, 09:28 AM   #3
barryrs

I work for one of the top 3 developers in the country and from our point of view it’s just another paperwork exercise that’s been ill conceived under good intentions.

I do think there is a career opportunity in producing HIPS & EPC's but I wouldn’t rely on it as your sole income, there is a lot of money to be earned in SAP assessment though.
Old 27-09-07, 11:19 AM   #4
chazzyb

It's interesting to note that the people pushing the government to implement HIPS universally is the association of HIP providers. Self-interest or what?
Old 27-09-07, 04:10 PM   #5
rob13

I was looking at it from the point of view that I could use it to supplement my income by doing this in my spare time (as I have quite a bit of it) and see where it went from there. I know there are options for bolt ons which eventually could lead to an accredited surveying qualification which is probably what I would aim for in the long term. I have looked at surveyor quals in other routes and it seems that the only way to get into the industry would be to go full time from the off (and see a hefty pay cut)