SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-02-12, 12:01 PM   #1
LV426

Default Datatool alarm and flat battery

Hi guys looking for some advice, got my sv around christmas time, has an S4 alarm fitted thats worked as it should. Bikes been wrapped up for 2 weeks, gone to start it and batteries flat, was fully charged and battery was new in december. Alarms acting funny too can't put it in ferry mode, is this a consequence of a flat battery ? Would take the alarm off if I knew how too, seems as though a few people have problems with them, didn't think it would flatten the battery in two weeks especially as its in winter mode, thanks.
Old 23-02-12, 04:29 PM   #2
Stuuk1

My data tool alarm used to flatten my battery on a weekly basis. Get it removed and get an alarmed disk lock.

There was a thread on here the other day asking how to remove an alarm, few people answered and seemed pretty simple. Someone will point to it as I'm on tapatalk and it's way too much hassle...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.613461,-3.847807
Member of the 1 litre club...
Old 23-02-12, 05:14 PM   #3
DJFridge

Default Re: Datatool alarm and flat battery

Mine is weirder than that. If the bike has been left for a while, like over Christmas, the fob won't turn the alarm off. Turn on the ignition and the alarm goes off. Push fob button and it switches off just like it's supposed to. I've stopped letting it worry me now, it doesn't seem to flattening the battery, it's more like the alarm and the fob getting out of sync.
Old 23-02-12, 05:28 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The alarm almost certainly isn't the problem - a battery/charging system in good condition will run a Datatool for ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFridge View Post
Mine is weirder than that. If the bike has been left for a while, like over Christmas, the fob won't turn the alarm off. Turn on the ignition and the alarm goes off. Push fob button and it switches off just like it's supposed to. I've stopped letting it worry me now, it doesn't seem to flattening the battery, it's more like the alarm and the fob getting out of sync.
Your alarm is going to sleep - which it's meant to. It conserves power that way so as not to flatten the battery. Hold down the alarm button while you turn the ignition on and the alarm will not go off.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-12, 09:04 PM   #5
Stuuk1

That sleep mode, you just need to hold down the button for a few seconds, don't need to turn the ignition.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.656175,-1.904440
Member of the 1 litre club...
Old 23-02-12, 09:15 PM   #6
chrisinflight

The batteries in the fob also need changing every few years. Both of my fobs stopped working the other day and I picked up a pack of 2 12v Duracell Security batt. for £2 from local pound shop.
Old 23-02-12, 09:25 PM   #7
DJFridge

Cheers guys. Will try that next time
Old 24-02-12, 08:33 AM   #8
monkey

Seeing as you've only had the bike two months I reckon the battery is a bit shagged and you've only just found out. Far too many people go blaming alarms for problem batteries and they'll quite happily slate said alarm forever and a day.
Old 24-02-12, 08:37 AM   #9
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Your alarm is going to sleep - which it's meant to
Below a threshold voltage (11.2V sticks in my mind for some reason). DJFridge if yours is going to sleep within less than a couple of weeks is suggest you look at your battery condition too.
Old 24-02-12, 09:09 AM   #10
LV426

Thanks for the comments, left it on a trickle charge over night and started first time. It was a new battery end of december and I did have it in winter mode so as hardly using any power. I must admit to not being impressed with the alarm which was already on the bike when I bought it, I only have to fart and the sensors detect it,lol. I know you can have the sensitivity altered but Its out of warranty and I'm not paying ridiculous dealer prices. Its also a pain in the **** when filling up for petrol. Will remove it if I can find someone capable, might have to anyway as I want a tail tidy and the little red light is in the number plate light.

Last edited by LV426; 24-02-12 at 09:10 AM.