SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-06-11, 12:19 PM   #1
Fizzy Fish

Default Speed awareness course vs 3 points

So after 15 yrs of hooning around the country on a bike, the strong arm of the law finally cauight up with me and sent me a NIP. For driving 60 in a 50, in a CAR of all things

Now I suppose it's probably a good thing they never noticed me doing any of the stuff I did on the bike , but it does feel a bit bizarre to be picked up in the car of all things - maybe it's cos the car is an easier zap with a a speed gun as it's bigger?

And I can't help thinking if I'd just timed it a bit better the NIP thing might have got caught up in the strike action and drifted beyond the 14 days...

Anyway, with a bit of luck I might get offered a speed awareness course, being a first timer and all that.

Has anyone ever done one of those courses, and was it mind-numbingly patronising or actually OK? Did you all have to hang your heads in shame throughout the duration of the course, and line up to be spanked at the end?

And if you've picked up an initial 3 points at any stage, what difference did it make to your insurance premium?
Old 30-06-11, 12:23 PM   #2
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Speed awareness course vs 3 points

3 points generally doesnt affect you premium mine didn't.... but 3 points is 3 points, and then 6 then 9...... personally I'd do the course even is I was caned and had stuff thrown at me

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 30-06-11 at 12:27 PM.
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 12:24 PM   #3
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

I did a speed awareness course. All very jovial and not too mind-numbingly patronising.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 12:30 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Peg got his first 3 points in 20 years, last year. Didn't offer him speed awareness. he just took the points and fine on the chin, no point in crying over it. Didn't affect his premiums.

As for 3 turns to 6 turns to 9....depends how dozy you are.
I do know of someone who drives the same stretch on their commute every day, and got done three times by a mobile camera, they should know its there at random times(been there for years), but dozy fecker didn't take the first time as a warning....had to make sure they got done some more!

Suppose it depends on how you value your license, if you ain't got that and you need it for work, yer fecked ain't ya!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 01:01 PM   #5
Fizzy Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I did a speed awareness course. All very jovial and not too mind-numbingly patronising.
You didn't say whether there was spanking. Could make all the difference to my choice!
Old 30-06-11, 01:06 PM   #6
metalangel

Did a similar thing back in 2003 when I had a silly accident in the car...

...the other three guys in my group weren't impressed. One was a city bus driver who'd clipped an illegally parked car trying to get out of the bus stop, another was tank transporter driver in the army who'd driven a military Land Rover into a civilian car, the third was equally nondescript.

The course, though, was good. The guys were all police instructors/police bike instructors who gave some good theories, the best of which was that following too closely was THE biggest problem. The car in front can do anything it wants, no matter how stupid, and you won't have a problem if you have enough space to stop or avoid it.

Out on the road, the instructor had us absolutely flying along at NSL in the B roads around Bridgend, ensuring we had the best view around each corner and not trying to squeeze through gaps with oncoming traffic when there were parked cars.

As you can tell, I really enjoyed it, and it really improved my driving.
Old 30-06-11, 01:11 PM   #7
startrek.steve

I've done TWO speed awareness courses, so good they named it twice!
Old 30-06-11, 01:36 PM   #8
lx_online

I've done one - you don't get made to feel 'naughty' or anything. I would defo take the course, insurance increase is likely (although by the previous posts not a certainty!).

Plus, you get to laugh at people who ran red lights (not all of you are there for speeding). Well, it's funny to me.
Old 30-06-11, 02:14 PM   #9
davepreston

well i currently have the same choice due to BADGER
im doing the course cos its 9 quid more than the fine ,3 quid a point saved
Old 30-06-11, 02:18 PM   #10
anna
Mega Poster

I´m sorry, but I couldnt help chuckle a little at this.

You hooodlum you!!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote