SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-07-13, 05:53 PM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Clutch switch or starter switch?

Intermittently I think either my starter switch or clutch switch messes about and the starter doesn't fire. Obviously I can meter them both out but being intermittent will be tricky to find or I could loop out the clutch switch and see if it gets better or worse.

So... couple of questions :- K3 SV1000N
1) Is there any subtle clue as to whether the bike thinks the clutch switch or starter switch is closed apart form the starter spinning if these and other switches are right?

2) Any issues with just keeping the clutch looped out for a while to see if things improve? I had heard talk of the switch bringing in a slightly different map but not sure if that is really an issue or not.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-13, 06:06 PM   #2
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch switch or starter switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Intermittently I think either my starter switch or clutch switch messes about and the starter doesn't fire. Obviously I can meter them both out but being intermittent will be tricky to find or I could loop out the clutch switch and see if it gets better or worse.

So... couple of questions :- K3 SV1000N
1) Is there any subtle clue as to whether the bike thinks the clutch switch or starter switch is closed apart form the starter spinning if these and other switches are right?

2) Any issues with just keeping the clutch looped out for a while to see if things improve? I had heard talk of the switch bringing in a slightly different map but not sure if that is really an issue or not.
Also anyone know an easily accessible point to meter out the starter switch?
Old 13-07-13, 11:34 AM   #3
wideguy

If the starting circuit is anything like my '00 650, the neutral switch, side stand switch, side stand relay and engine stop switch are also in the equation. For an intermittent problem, I'd suspect the side stand switch or relay.
My start switch wires run into a connector on the right side just above the top frame rail and are orange/white and yellow/green. Easy to get to if you lift the tank.
If I had an electrical diagram for your bike, I could tell you if they're the same.
Old 14-07-13, 12:26 PM   #4
Grant66

Not forgetting the key switch, separate poles for the ignition circuit.
For what it's worth, my intermittent starting problem (02 curvy) was dirt on start switch.
Circuit diagram for 02 if it helps

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ps1fe83e37.jpg
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-13, 05:20 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Usually it's the clutch switch.

With bike switched off, pull the clutch - listen carefully and you'll hear the switch 'click'. If you wiggle the lever up and down whilst it's back against the' bar you can often hear the switch click in and out.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-13, 07:04 PM   #6
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Switch is clicking. Took it off, cleaned the spade connectors and managed to get some switch cleaner on the micro switch pads inside. I have a feeling if I try to do the same to the starter switch I'm heading for a world of spring and cam related pain. Any negative impact of just looping out the clutch switch fot a few weeks to eliminate that from the equation?

Guess there are no other clues as to which switch/defeat is not aging ball.
Old 14-07-13, 09:19 PM   #7
leebex

According to svrider site running with the starting map (clutch switch bridged constantly) your bike will be very thirsty.

If you were to bridge it, (making sure you always leave your bike in neutral or neutral before you start it) remove the clutch safety switch spade crimps, then just bridge the 2 spade connectors for starting only. I keep a small piece of wire in my tool kit as Ive had mine fail before.
Old 14-07-13, 11:30 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Don't permanently link out the clutch switch. Obviously you could check the operation of the switch by bridging it to see if it makes a difference to the problem.

The starter button isn't difficult to dismantle/reassemble.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote