SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-05-18, 08:43 PM   #1
daktulos

Default Warm weather recommendations

Hi,

I have a big old leather jacket from the 90s which I'm quite happy with - if I ever come off, I'm fairly confident it'll keep me safe. But, it's a monster and almost impossible to carry around when not wearing it.

Given the hot weather, I've been looking for something more lightweight, but still with an amount of armour and/or abrasion resistance.

I dropped in the local motorcycle shop, and they recommended mesh jackets which were armoured, but looked far too flimsy (particularly for the price).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a lightweight jacket? I can't spend too much, particularly if this is just for three days a year (AKA the summer).

Thanks!
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-18, 08:54 PM   #2
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed
Default Re: Warm weather recommendations

I have a Triumph mesh jacket which is fully armoured, but only wear it when in southern europe as it can be COLD after an hour or so of making progress.
Old 28-05-18, 09:01 PM   #3
andy650

+1 on a mesh jacket, brilliant on hot days. Wouldn't want to come off at high speed in it though....
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-18, 09:32 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

get some pockets sewn into the inside lining made of waterproof fabric, stick ice packs in the pockets.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-18, 05:00 AM   #5
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I take a decent chain with me and chain my jacket to the bike when I get off it.

Depending on the type of riding you are doing I find the Triumph textile jackets adequate. Elbow and shoulder armour, with my back protector. Along with Held jeans. I have mates telling me off for not wearing bike gear and riding in normal jeans and jacket because that's what they look like.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 29-05-18, 06:50 AM   #6
shiftin_gear98

I bought one of these when my Furygan leather jacket died.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/252248

I'm very pleased with it not only in the heat, but it's been pretty good when it was freezing cold and ****ing down. Which is good news as it's my only jacket. I was impressed with the quality too, I'd never had an RST clothing item before and had read good and bad things about them - it met all of my expectations.
Oh and it was fairly cheap - like me.

I even left a review.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 29-05-18 at 09:04 AM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-18, 08:51 AM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I normally wear a Weise textile armoured jacket with shoulder and elbow pads and back protector (most of the time with the thermal lining zipped out if temperature is above -10C LOL) it has plenty of pockets and zippable air vents on sleeves, chest and back (with mesh to stop unwanted things blowing in) which are very effective getting cooler air inside the jacket and out the back (normally leave the back one unzipped as its a PITA to get to once coat is on). Easy to unzip chest and sleeve vents once stopped or even on the move if needed. Also got 'draggin' Kevlar jeans as they look quite normal once off the bike and are comfortable reasonably cool and can be machine washed.

Weise ( UK based despite German name) Nevada jacket has been discontinued but the more cut down Nevada ST available at just over £80 - not exactly mesh or super lightweight but waterproof and probably a good compromise if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a warm weather jacket that will only get used 3 days a year in UK - in fact I will probably order one at that price because my old one has given great service.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/224249

I like pockets and the ST has plenty...............
  • Two external pockets with zip closure
  • Three internal waterproof pockets
  • Single Napoleon waterproof pocket

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 29-05-18 at 09:56 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-18, 01:01 PM   #8
daktulos

Thanks for all the recommendations. I think I need to find somewhere selling them as it's hard to judge how cool or bulky they'll be over the Internet.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-18, 02:58 PM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
Thanks for all the recommendations. I think I need to find somewhere selling them as it's hard to judge how cool or bulky they'll be over the Internet.
Yes you do need to try jackets on, I bought my Weise from local shop and tried a few jackets on before deciding, problem is if you want good protection you can't go too lightweight and I like to have shoulder, elbows and back protected (some people take back protector out , ) but the zippable vents decided it for me, it is easy to adjust level of ventilation you need. I am a fine weather rider these days but like to be prepared for rain. The removable thermal lining has only been in the jacket once (and it worked too well) if think its a bit cool I normally wear a Regatta zip up fleece underneath and it has the benefit of the high neck once zipped up fully, but still allows air to circulate and any perspiration to dissipate.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 29-05-18 at 03:00 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-18, 04:21 PM   #10
Toooldtodie

I have a Revit Airwave jacket and it's been an absolute boon over the years when it gets warm. Full armour at shoulder, elbow and bought the back protector that goes with it. Mesh and strong nylon where it needs to be, but the wind whistles through lovely. It's white-ish and so reflects the sun's rays nicely. Will now buy the trousers, but dear Lord they have gone up in price over the intervening years... I paid a tad over £100 for mine.