SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-05-18, 07:13 PM   #11
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Oh no, not again (speeding)

My Curvy speedo reads over as well.We have LED speed warning signs on the main road near my house and at 30 on my speedo it shows around 27/28 Mph.Same with other ones in the city/roads.

Hope you get lucky
Old 06-05-18, 09:14 PM   #12
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
You could be lucky yet.
Speedos are not always 100% accurate, they are allowed to over-read by up to 10%
If your speedo is say 4% out (not uncommon) and you briefly hit 70 indicated that would be 67.2 actual
There's usually a "tolerance" of 10% over the limit plus 2mph, i.e. 68
Speed limit + 10% + 2MPH

As long as you're within that, you'll be offered a course (assuming you've not been on the same one within 3 years) - they won't say "better let him off, might be inaccurate"
Old 09-05-18, 06:55 AM   #13
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I'm afraid that isn't a rule, it's a guideline. I did a SAC about 18 months ago. At the start they read out how much we were each over the limit. I was in a class with people who got done doing 33 in a 30 and 77 on the M25.

Essex police are strict and said that the 10% + 2 is a myth. They can enforce the speed limit. And they don't have to offer you a course, even if your licence has previously been clean for years.

My misdemeanor was doing 37 through the Blackwell tunnel in the car. It's 40 either side, drops to 30 in the tunnel and I was going at the same speed as everyone else so I suspect a lot of people get caught out. I now don't assume I can add a few miles on to allow for my speedo plus extra percentages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Speed limit + 10% + 2MPH

As long as you're within that, you'll be offered a course (assuming you've not been on the same one within 3 years) - they won't say "better let him off, might be inaccurate"
Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-18, 07:00 AM   #14
Red ones
Mega Poster

I got a new car last week. I'm still impressed by the button that limits the car to the speed limit.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 07:03 AM   #15
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

This is a good article on the subject.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/adv...peeding-fines/

Old 09-05-18, 07:28 AM   #16
shiftin_gear98

Red Ones, I like that button too!

My SV reads 9% over compared to my satnav.

Seeker - On a plus side, at least you weren't hitting triple figures.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 07:32 AM   #17
Red Herring
Mega Poster

The authorities would do well to consider where they want to go with the future of traffic enforcement. When otherwise responsible and law abiding citizens start to feel unfairly victimised there is a tendency for them to take disproportionate steps to counter it and that can have unintended consequences. At the moment pretty much all their enforcement options, and your vulnerability, are based on you being honest enough to correctly register your vehicle, and to display the correct number plate. You only have to sit in the lines of commuter traffic going into London each morning to count the number of bikes going past that have dirty unreadable number plates (even at this time of year), plates angled so they can't be read, plates "accidentally" covered by their lock wrapped around the rack, or a number of other measures to stop their plate being read. Remember, these are individuals who are getting up every morning and going into work, people who would generally fall into that slightly more respectable branches of society......

Then you only have to go to your average Wednesday evening biker meet. Sure, there have always been the local idiot but the number of groups I now see riding around with plates hidden up under the mudguard, or no plates at all has multiple over recent years. It suddenly becomes a "them and us" situation with bikers uniting to rebel against a cause..... just look at that other thread over the use of a Stinger!

I'm all for road safety, I spend a huge amount of my time promoting it, but you won't find me preaching you achieve it by forcing motorists to comply with speed limits. I'd rather spend my time encouraging them to appreciate the potential hazards and to select an appropriate speed to deal with them. Unfortunately my approach isn't a particularly good business model......
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 08:32 AM   #18
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
I'm afraid that isn't a rule, it's a guideline. I did a SAC about 18 months ago. At the start they read out how much we were each over the limit. I was in a class with people who got done doing 33 in a 30 and 77 on the M25.

Essex police are strict and said that the 10% + 2 is a myth. They can enforce the speed limit. And they don't have to offer you a course, even if your licence has previously been clean for years.

My misdemeanor was doing 37 through the Blackwell tunnel in the car. It's 40 either side, drops to 30 in the tunnel and I was going at the same speed as everyone else so I suspect a lot of people get caught out. I now don't assume I can add a few miles on to allow for my speedo plus extra percentages.

Well the speed awareness course I did, with an ex copper of 50 years who now spends his life teaching these courses, said it wasn't a myth.

So I guess we'll never know.

And tbh...I don't care. I accidentally broke the speed limit as I genuinely had no idea it was a 20 zone, and I sure won't do it again - so the course has worked and was a positive eye opener. I think it should be part of the driving/riding test to be put through one of these courses - there's insight there that is way beyond what gets taught in either a theory or lessons leading up to a practical.
Old 09-05-18, 08:33 AM   #19
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
I got a new car last week. I'm still impressed by the button that limits the car to the speed limit.
I can see automated speed limitation of cars and bikes becoming the norm in the very near future. In all honesty, I'm blown away it's not happened already. Regardless of what people think, coppers aren't revenue agents, they genuinely want people to be safe - and not have to report the death of a loved one due to speeding/careless/drunk driving, etc.
Old 09-05-18, 09:21 AM   #20
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Well CC Anthony Bangham caused a mighty backlash when he advocated fining drivers who went 1mph over the posted speed limit, other Police obviously told him it was unenforceable because the accuracy of equipment would be questioned every time and probably too many cases would end up in court which would block up the system. There is an 'allowance' for a reason, vehicle speedometers are not calibrated, and sometimes the Cameras and laser units aren't either, so if you go to court you can ask for a current calibration certificate for the unit used.

As speed bumps, chicanes and other 'traffic calming' street furniture are removed from our streets they are being replaced with 20 mph limits, so we have to be wary in any town or village now for new 20 limits. I impose a 20 limit on myself in our 30 mph housing estate because of kids (road runs past a kids playground) and animals - and narrow roads (not even wide enough to get a centre white line) with cars parked all over the place, and some people still sit on your rear bumper, and you see a lot of parents going over 30 LOL.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...rapped-cars-UK

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...er-driver-doi/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 09-05-18 at 09:28 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote