SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-01-10, 10:45 AM   #1
Holdup

Default I believe in UFOs: Danny Dyer

Did any one watch this last night on bbc three? what do you reckon? are you a believer?

For those of you who may want to see it its available here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Os_Danny_Dyer/
Old 27-01-10, 10:55 AM   #2
keithd

Default Re: I believe in UFOs: Danny Dyer

Anything with Danny Dyer in the title gets a wide berth from me, despite him being my cousin
Old 27-01-10, 11:53 AM   #3
Holdup

How come? dont have to answer.

Im scepticle (sp) about the whole alien thing, i mean theres one point in the programme which shows some footage of suposidly (sp) an alien, but it looks too much like how we expect an alien to look like which is why im not too sure, if theres aliens about id like to think they dont all have rounded top part of the head and pointed chins, id rather thing they'd all look different and not how we've imagined them to look
Old 27-01-10, 12:05 PM   #4
thedonal

I have to say- Danny Dyer is very, very irritating. Makes it rather hard to watch anything with him in.

And all that I saw on the programme did nothing for my opinions (I want to believe...!).
Old 27-01-10, 12:06 PM   #5
Owenski

Yeah I caught the last half hour of this. I saw the alien in the window footage, the blinking and mouth movement is cool but nothing that cant easily be faked.

Those UFO's in the last bit of film at the nutty ranch at first made me think "how odd that they've come the nigth they turned up to film, amazing" and felt quite open minded to it but then the 2nd one and a 3rd and a 4th etc it all got a little hard to accept so I decided they were 100% satallites reflecting the sun's light.
Old 27-01-10, 12:12 PM   #6
kellyjo

Didnt see the program but im definitely a believer, i dont think all aliens are in the form of little green men, but there has to be life on other planets in some form.
Old 27-01-10, 12:19 PM   #7
Woz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjo View Post
Didnt see the program but im definitely a believer, i dont think all aliens are in the form of little green men, but there has to be life on other planets in some form.
Agreed. If every star we can see (and that is a miniscule fraction of what is out there) has a few planets spinning around it, the chance that life HASN'T evolved somewhere is tiny.
Old 27-01-10, 12:25 PM   #8
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

I'm the same as Keith D, except he aint my cousin too.

The guy has to be one of the most annoying people on telly at the moment. Him and his rubbish accent which seems to be about the only reason he exists and gets job.

so no i ddint watch it. But is there life out there? I most certainly think so given the billions of stars there are its be silly to think our star is the only one that can support life of some kind.

Have they been to visit us, probably i'd say but i'd also like to think they came to laugh at us and they have far more interesting things to do with their time if they have proper full on spaceships capable of intergalactic travel. What interest are we to a species who can travel the known universe? Except for them to come and point and laugh at how behind we are that our space craft are basically planes strapped to very powerful fireworks and the furthest we've gone in them is the moon and back pretty much.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-10, 05:47 PM   #9
thedonal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
I'm the same as Keith D, except he aint my cousin too.

The guy has to be one of the most annoying people on telly at the moment. Him and his rubbish accent which seems to be about the only reason he exists and gets job.

so no i ddint watch it. But is there life out there? I most certainly think so given the billions of stars there are its be silly to think our star is the only one that can support life of some kind.

Have they been to visit us, probably i'd say but i'd also like to think they came to laugh at us and they have far more interesting things to do with their time if they have proper full on spaceships capable of intergalactic travel. What interest are we to a species who can travel the known universe? Except for them to come and point and laugh at how behind we are that our space craft are basically planes strapped to very powerful fireworks and the furthest we've gone in them is the moon and back pretty much.
One thing I haven't looked into is how far into the life of the universe that our existence has developed and when the first possibility of star-faring life is. We could be part of the first wave of intelligences that are capable of and have developed space travel, even to the limited extent that we have managed so far.

The other limiting factor, of course, is the technology and the energy required to propel even our relatively small manned craft as far as the moon and back.

If you think of the distances involved, you'd need some serious way of generating energy and even then, the timespans involved would be such that a small, self-sustaining civilization would be required to travel even as far as alpha centauri- travelling further could mean several generations of travellers.

I reckon that would mean-
  • a fairly huge craft of some sort (think of the resources required to build it, plus the onboard spares dept!- that'd be a fully manufacturing system then),
  • the ability to grow food and recycle as much as possible and generate power and thrust,
  • the means to 'prospect'- ie extensively re-usable land and launch capability, the means of setting up (ie colonizing) on land (providing it's not occupied!) scoping compatible planets well in advance (allowing for travel time- the planet has to be in the right state when you get there as well as compatible atmospherically etc)

This doesn't take into account-
  • Close to light (difficult) or even faster than light (extremely unlikely- but every scientific theory only stands until it is disproved)
  • Extended sleep (ie cryogenic freezing or other)
  • Protecting travellers against the ravages of space travel (radiation, damage from collisions with even small particles at high speed, effects of low gravity if this cannot be compensated for etc)
  • The travelling 'civilization' being able to sustain itself without hostility and growing beyond the confines of the vessel.

To me, the these make the chances of intelligent life having even come close to our solar system slim, to say the least.

Though I'm not saying impossible (especially if the 'life' in the local boozers is anything to go by!)

Last edited by thedonal; 27-01-10 at 05:49 PM.
Old 27-01-10, 06:45 PM   #10
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

**** hot! i was wanting to watch this lol

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote