SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-07-07, 12:27 PM   #1
hovis

Default tyre wear?

is it possible to tell how much life is left in a tyre? as im suposed to be going to germany & not sure if i need tyres b4 i go?
Old 05-07-07, 12:28 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: tyre wear?

What tyres you got and how many miles have then done already ?

Personnally with a big trip like that and where you're going if it was me and I could afford to do it I'd fit new ones and then not have to worry about my tyres whilst I was away.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 12:30 PM   #3
Baph

Tyre depth gauge, commonly found at your local tyre shop (ask to borrow it - or better yet, ask their advice).
Old 05-07-07, 12:38 PM   #4
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
What tyres you got and how many miles have then done already ?

fizz............ you should know by now i have road attacks,

anywho, the front has done about 8000. & the back 4000?

i guess i do need new ones,
fizz again, would you recomend the Z6 for a trip to germany? i did plan on getting them next, but just wondered if the would be suitable for the long trip
Old 05-07-07, 12:51 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I thought it was conti's but I wanted to make sure ( OK I forgot )

If that was me I'd be changing those. Last thing you want to be doing is mucking about trying to get a tyre on a rideout eyh Jelster

I think you'll be fine with the Z6's

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 12:53 PM   #6
Mogs

Tyre longevity is affected mainly by two factors, the durability of the tyre and the rider style.

You could get an estimate of the longevity if you note the depth of the tread and the mileage, about a thousand miles later measure again. You will then have a wear rate (? mm per 1000 miles), you will know the overall depth minus 2mm will give you the miles left to go.

This will not help you now H, but at 8000 miles you already know it's toast.
Old 05-07-07, 12:55 PM   #7
Grinch

Well I did 8900 miles before I replaced my rear...
The fronts done about 4 and half K and has load of life left in it.

More importantly when was the last oil change and service.
Old 05-07-07, 01:12 PM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
fizz again, would you recomend the Z6 for a trip to germany? i did plan on getting them next, but just wondered if the would be suitable for the long trip
What's your riding style like on roads you don't know? How early do you get the power down? Do you like the bike to stand up as you get on the power, or stay laying low until you ask it to stand up, reargless of power?

Tyre choice is very very personal IMO. PR2s have about the same longevity (apparently a pair of thou's around Europe recently got 6000 miles out of a rear PR2), and far far superior grip mid bend IMO (and I've just swapped from PR2 to Z6 due to a flat - and can't wait to get my PR2 back!)
Old 05-07-07, 01:14 PM   #9
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post

More importantly when was the last oil change and service.
about 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
What's your riding style like on roads you don't know? How early do you get the power down? Do you like the bike to stand up as you get on the power, or stay laying low until you ask it to stand up, reargless of power?

Old 05-07-07, 01:18 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
Find out your own riding style first, then work out what tyres suit that.

I thought I was quick on Z6's in all weathers. Then I fitted a pair of PR2s, and I thought nothing had changed. Then I went back to Z6 and the rear is all over the place, mostly because I'm on the power far far sooner than I used to be. The Z6's like to stand up on the power, and I keep them cranked over, so it's more prone to a little slipping & sliding action.

Z6's are great in the wet, PR2s have more grip than a gecko's foot IMO (obviously push too much and you'll be sitting in the middle of a field).