SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-08-20, 04:50 PM   #1831
aj76

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

No work on the bikes but managed to time it between the showers to fit a new exhaust on the daughter's car after the hanger bracket gave way last week. Saved £180 quid by ordering online and fitting myself and have to admit I enjoyed getting the spanners out

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
aj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 05:58 PM   #1832
gadget

Well ... finally managed to sort out my curvy charging issues after many posts for help from many members here. Fitted a reg/rec ( FH022BA) as fitted to Yamaha MT10, updated all wiring from the reg to 4mm! (Probably total overkill) all joints soldered, extra earth from reg to sub frame, reg/rec 'direct to battery' mod with 4mm and 30amp fuse, all soldered joints heatshrunk and silicone tube sealed, brand new Yuasa YT12S-BA Battery. Started up the bike and .... something I've not seen before .... 14.5v at idle! ... lights full on & idling ... 13.5v, lights on full and revving at 4-5000 .. 14.6v. The reg/rec runs soooooo much cooler too.
Unfortunately the rec/rec won't quite fit in the usual place behind the side fairing so relocation is the only option. So now thinking I may fabricate a nice shiney alloy heatsink/mounting bracket and mount it on the left passenger foot rest hangar as they are 'no more' and the bracket is now redundant. It of course will be totally weather proofed and suitably protected from the elements. So ...all in all really chuffed with the results and many thanks to all the members on here who advised, contributed, and generally put up with my ramblings over this problem project.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 07:03 PM   #1833
Dave20046
Mega Poster

That's good news and sounds quite a bit of work. Well done
Old 24-08-20, 07:17 PM   #1834
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
That's good news and sounds quite a bit of work. Well done
Thanks, it's been a bit of a mission tbh but worth all the effort, I may have a rethink on the mounting location as I have read somewhere that there is considerably more room on the left hand side opposite the original mounting place, plus there seems to be a tapped hole already in the sub frame.
Will check it out Tomorrow and do a bit of trial and error. As the new reg/rec runs so much cooler I don't think it will suffer anywhere near as much as the original did under the side panel.
Old 25-08-20, 08:02 PM   #1835
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Thanks, it's been a bit of a mission tbh but worth all the effort, I may have a rethink on the mounting location as I have read somewhere that there is considerably more room on the left hand side opposite the original mounting place, plus there seems to be a tapped hole already in the sub frame.
Will check it out Tomorrow and do a bit of trial and error. As the new reg/rec runs so much cooler I don't think it will suffer anywhere near as much as the original did under the side panel.
Not sure that's true. IIRC it's in the tail piece? You have the lock mech on the other side, unless they weren't created equal...

Take it you're on a naked bike?
Old 26-08-20, 05:56 AM   #1836
gadget

Quote:
Not sure that's true. IIRC it's in the tail piece? You have the lock mech on the other side, unless they weren't created equal...

Take it you're on a naked bike?
Not naked, it's an 's' 1999.
Defo not in the tail as I took it out from the right side factory subframe mount.
The left side has no rectifier mounting bracket, only a single bolt thread into the subframe roughly opposite
the right side mount so ... without measuring it seems to be a potential place to re-position the rec, seat cable goes nowhere near it as far as I can see. I've still yet to try it all out but it looks promising.
Old 26-08-20, 07:04 AM   #1837
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Got my bar conversion done, needs a bit of tidying up which I’ll do later when I’ve got some time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26-08-20, 09:07 AM   #1838
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Not naked, it's an 's' 1999.
Defo not in the tail as I took it out from the right side factory subframe mount.
The left side has no rectifier mounting bracket, only a single bolt thread into the subframe roughly opposite
the right side mount so ... without measuring it seems to be a potential place to re-position the rec, seat cable goes nowhere near it as far as I can see. I've still yet to try it all out but it looks promising.
Ah, I'm misremembering then. I thought it was in the back pod. If it wasn't running cooler as you say, I'd be tempted to hide it upfront under the fairing somewhere so it get some cooling while riding.
Old 26-08-20, 08:02 PM   #1839
gadget

Quote:
Ah, I'm misremembering then. I thought it was in the back pod. If it wasn't running cooler as you say, I'd be tempted to hide it upfront under the fairing somewhere so it get some cooling while riding.
Today I did a load of measuring and trial fitting of the rectifier under the left side panel and it's all good, plenty of room even when mounting first to a 6mm alloy heatsink, seat lock cable is totally clear of the rec too. If anyone has the inclination to move their rectifier I would defo recommend swapping sides.
Old 26-08-20, 08:11 PM   #1840
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post

Got my bar conversion done, needs a bit of tidying up which I’ll do later when I’ve got some time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks pretty awesome, exactly what I have planned for my curvy S, the clipons are ok around town but journeys are killing my old bones! What top yoke did you use? And ...£??. Did you have to trim the screen at all for bar clearance? What bars did you use? Width/rise/ etc. I was planning to mod/weld the standard yoke and drill for risers but if the yoke is decent money I may rethink it. Ooo... and what's the little red light on yer dash for?