SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-05-08, 10:53 AM   #1
Brettus

Default power socket fitting kit, any good?

Hi,
I'm looking to fit an accessory socket to my K6 pointy.
I've searched and found loads of threads on how to install one and such but they sound a tad complex and I'm an electrical idiot , I noticed nippy normans have a kit that looks pretty idiot proof: http://www.nippynormans.com/prodinfo...tem=8&mitem=71

but I just wanted some opinions on it, it looks a decent socket compared with the only ones available from maplins currently, I want to house the socket around the front somewhere so weatherproofing would be best
from the looks of the connector its crimps over the wire and contacts that way, I'm assuming something like the sidelight wire would be the way to go?

any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-08, 11:18 AM   #2
Baph

Default Re: power socket fitting kit, any good?

It looks like a good deal.

As for connection, well, I'd opt to do it a little differently. Positive from the cig socket to the battery, negative to a bosch relay (87a).

Take a look at the bottom of the fuse box, look at the thick orange wire. Next to it is a spare slot. Solder a wire in there, and connect the other end to the coil on the relay (85 for example). Connect the other side of the relay to ground (86, to bike frame for example). When the ignition comes on, this newly soldered wire will be powered, and activate the relay.

With the common terminal (30) on the relay, wire to ground to complete the power socket circuit.

Bish bash bosh, job jobbed.
Old 22-05-08, 11:40 AM   #3
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Baph, as another numpty you do confuse me as soon as you mention the word relay. I have wired mine to the spare connection you refer to, but by the +ve wire (through a fuse) not the negative wire (which is direct to the negative of the battery).
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-08, 11:50 AM   #4
Baph

Stu, I never said where to put the fuse.

OK, I'll simplfy my previous post:

Wire from the spare slot in the fuse box to terminal #85 of the relay. From #86 to either the frame, or anything else that you only want powered with the ignition ON.

This will turn the relay state to 'on' whenever the ignition is on.

Then wire the cig socket from NippyNormans to the positive battery feed (via the fuse, as Stu rightly mentionned). Wire the negative wire for the cig socket to the relay terminal #87a. Wire from relay terminal #30 to the frame again.

This means that the cig socket is negatively switched by the ignition. Why is this beneficial? Well, you can then run a positive connection to something via the cig socket, and have the device ground itself, thus completing the circuit without the ignition on. By default, you can't leave a device charging without the ignition on, unless that device grounds itself.

EDIT: Probably the best place on the frame to put negative wires (on a K6 at least), is thr front most bolts on the rear fairing (take the rider seat off, and they're next to the battery). These bolts go down through the fairing into the frame itself.

Why put negatives to the frame & not the battery? Simple, I've had the bike in a couple of garages and been told when I picked it up "We didn't know what all those wires did, so we left them off." GRRRR!!! FKING TWONKS!!! If they only have to disconnect positive terminals, it's half as much work for you to put it back together again.

Comprende?

Last edited by Baph; 22-05-08 at 11:53 AM.
Old 22-05-08, 11:52 AM   #5
Brettus

yeah see, the relay bit gets me every time too (i'm not doubting the usefulness of it in the least) but why is it necessary? doesn't the relay make sure there is no power when the ignition is off? surely feeding off the sidelights or another connection would mean they are relayed too already? but does that they compromise something else hence the need for the dedicated relay?
Ahhh I hate it when my head spins like this heh.
Old 22-05-08, 11:55 AM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
yeah see, the relay bit gets me every time too (i'm not doubting the usefulness of it in the least) but why is it necessary? doesn't the relay make sure there is no power when the ignition is off? surely feeding off the sidelights or another connection would mean they are relayed too already? but does that they compromise something else hence the need for the dedicated relay?
Ahhh I hate it when my head spins like this heh.
I was editing the post above whilst you posted that.

The advantage is that it's negatively switched. Can't do that from the side lights.

Also, what load will your devices take (what fuse are you putting inline)? Is this current enough to blow the sidelights constantly?
Old 22-05-08, 12:15 PM   #7
Brettus

Yeah I was reading and re-reading your second post before posting again hastily
OK so I think I follow the idea, I'll have to get in and have a proper nosey at what connectors are where, I assume maplins would be a reasonable place for the relay and suitable wire? (anything specific I should look for?)
the nippy norman kit only has a small amount of wire from the looks of it.

whilst i'm on a roll with dumb questions, would it be easiest to add a second socket now in the pillion seat or does that require duplicating what i'm about to install anyway?

thanks for your help Baph
Old 22-05-08, 12:33 PM   #8
Baph

Quote:
I assume maplins would be a reasonable place for the relay and suitable wire? (anything specific I should look for?)
the nippy norman kit only has a small amount of wire from the looks of it.
Whilst in maplin, ask them for a Bosch style 12v automotive relay (they'll find it for you - just make sure they're not numpties & picked up the 24v one as it won't work - they have the voltage printed on top). This relay has a handy mounting bracket on it for attaching securely anywhere you like (if that thing takes your fancy).

As for wire, any twin power cable rated at 15A should be plenty enough, and IIRC, it's something like £1.50/metre.

Quote:
would it be easiest to add a second socket now in the pillion seat or does that require duplicating what i'm about to install anyway?
The way you were proposing, you'll need to duplicate a fair amount of it.

If you follow what I've said above, you wont go wrong. When you want to add a new socket to the setup I've described, pop along to maplin again, get the cig socket, get the wire & come home.

Solder the positive/negative wires to the cig socket. Unplug the first socket negative from the relay #87a, and connect the positive wire from the second socket to the wire you now have in your hand. Connect the negative wire from the second socket to the relay #87a. Done.

Do bare in mind though, that they'll both be on the same fuse, so you'll get 15A max down the pair of sockets. But you can always increase the fuse if you're taking more than 7.5A down each socket.

Last edited by Baph; 22-05-08 at 12:37 PM.
Old 22-05-08, 12:40 PM   #9
Brettus

Fanstastic, you sir are a star, I'll try and get a look at it tonight and see if I can tie what you have said up with what I see in the bike and then pick the bits up tomorrow.

Many thanks for the advice and your excellent patience
Old 22-05-08, 12:57 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Many thanks for the advice and your excellent patience
No worries about either. I have all the patience in the world... until 3pm, when I'm out of the office for 10 days.