SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-05, 11:28 AM   #1
Desh

Default First Aid Course

Hi,

Mid-day Sunday riding along the A13 into London the car in front of me hits a pedestrian who I see coming over the top left side of the car. I bring the bike to a halt only a foot or so in front of him. Park bike shielding pedestrian, get off, call emergency services giving them directions, details of victim etc etc.

Was relatively calm but felt useless. Remembered first aid course I had done at school (10-12 years ago ) so checked that he was breathing, pulse and tried to talk to him and re-assure him that emergency services were on the way etc but walked away wondering if there was any more I could've done.

As I believe I could have, intend on doing a first aid course. Have found the following which looks good. Has anyone done a first aid course they would recommend?

http://www.sja.org.uk/training/cours...orcyclists.asp

Cheers
Desh
Old 04-07-05, 11:32 AM   #2
Akula

Any 1st aid course is worth doing, as alot of the time if you have too much knowledge you may try open heart/brain surgery. Seriously tho any 1st aid course is useful.

Martin
Old 04-07-05, 11:33 AM   #3
BillyC
Mega Poster

You didn't mention this earlier! Whoa!

I, and I'm sure many others, have thought of this... while you had the misfortune to have to deal with a rare situation involving a pedestrian, many more of us could probably benefit from training to help our fellow bikers.

Only on yesterday Samnooshka may have required the immediate skills of someone trained in first-aid.

Rictus is a trained Paramedic I believe... I'm sure he'll have some words of wisdom and experience to add!
Old 04-07-05, 01:00 PM   #4
Desh

Have just booked myself on the Emergency Aid for Motorcyclists course, which runs in the evening (7-9.15) on 10th & 17th August just by Baker Street station.

For £35 I think it's well worth it. Although I do hope I will never have to put into practise what is learnt.

Cheers
Desh
Old 04-07-05, 03:42 PM   #5
didge

iv been bugging my work 4 ages to get me trained in first aid so they pay 4 it but its not the motorbike one its the same principal im guessing
Old 04-07-05, 03:47 PM   #6
Warren

im learning a little motorcycle first aid tomorrow nite with the essex advanced motorcycle group.

covering helmet removal and stuff too - which im sure will be useful.
Old 04-07-05, 10:17 PM   #7
madmartyn

i done a 5day first aid at work course and got paid to be a first aider, just about to do refresher course as certificate is expiring also done a few one day courses one which covered infants very informative stuff and ya learn a suprising amount would recomend it to anyone even if you never use it good to know you could help instead of being a helpless bystander
Old 04-07-05, 10:20 PM   #8
madmartyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
im learning a little motorcycle first aid tomorrow nite with the essex advanced motorcycle group.

covering helmet removal and stuff too - which im sure will be useful.
many years ago mcn had an advert for helmet stickers which were a warning do not remove helmet unless trained to do so thing, had one on mine not seen any since though, think they should do it again might just have to email them