SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-11-05, 09:19 AM   #1
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default New Pants Please

Had a nasty moment last night, was approaching a bend and a car coming in the opposite direction with headlights on main beam and fog lights on totally dazzled me and then the next minute I was looking at the hedge approaching at a rapid rate of knots. I had one of those of Sh*t I'm not going to make it moments.

I just couldnt see the road and missed the apex of the corner and ran very very wide.

TBH I totally sh*t myself and then proceeded to ride the rest of my journey at a very ( for me ) sedate pace.

I only saved it by extensive use of the rear brake and some throttle and managed to pull the bike round.

I think that the car driver didnt see my lights above the hedge as they are quite frankly pants and therefore didnt dip his / her headlights in time.

I noticed that this happened a fair few times through the rest of my journey to the point that I think 1 out of 3 cars didnt dip their headlights in time so I got dazzled.

I'm definately getting some new headlight bulbs now, anybody else had any similar experiences ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-05, 09:27 AM   #2
hall13uk

oh yes mr fizzwheel i have had that on many occasion . i got me some phillips higher power lights seem to work at least 20% better than the standard crap. i know it's not very practical but if you open your visor then u should find the dazzle from oncoming traffic not so bad.
Old 30-11-05, 09:28 AM   #3
mattSV
Mega Poster

Would recommend phillips GT150 bulbs - I have had a few cars flash me thinking they are on main beam - so I then show them what main beam is really like
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-05, 09:29 AM   #4
hall13uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
- so I then show them what main beam is really like

Old 30-11-05, 09:33 AM   #5
rwoodcock01

Your not alone Fizz, same thing happens to me every morning and everning down the A509 heading to or from the M1.

I am note sure if its the not seeing your lights, or just that some drivers are just plain lazy/ don't care at times!

I am going to go for new bulbs myself this weekend, and I am going to buy some of those bright phililps bulbs.

I know its bad, but those drivers that keep there full beams/fogs on I tend to blaszt them back with my full beams. I don't do it on bends, but just on strights where it won't cause an accident.

I guess we just have to put up with them.

Cheers

Rich
Old 30-11-05, 09:36 AM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Opening the Visor isnt really an option for me, I wear glasses so with the weather like it is, if I shut the visor again I'l have cr*p on the lenses of my glasses and the visor as well.

I dont have this problem anywhere near as bad when I am in the car, they tend to see me coming alot soone so always dip their headlights, if they dont they get a blast of them on main beam and that soon gets the message across, my car has PIAA bulbs in and they are very very good and thats what I am going to get for the bike I think

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-05, 10:45 AM   #7
thor

In this weather I have noticed that the oncoming beams are an issue if you have all the road salt on the visor. I try not to wipe the visor to avoid smearing. I got a great bottle of visor wash with an attached sponge and squeegy for washing the crap off when it gets too bad. This helps with the dazzling.
Old 30-11-05, 10:57 AM   #8
Grinch

You should try it on the A3... mad!.. I swear some of the road just vanishes....
The best thing I can recomend is a V-Wipe.. great for shifting that extra road crap...
Old 30-11-05, 11:46 AM   #9
Iain51

Shoulda taken the train!
Old 30-11-05, 03:11 PM   #10
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

I know how you feel mate, a lot of peeps near where i live (on the side roads mainly) drive with full beams on and in the straddling the white lines in the middle of the road.

i tend to flash my full beams with the pass button a fair few times when i see their lights and they dont see mine.

Not suprising really since the single round headlight on the naked isnt exactly good at focus the beam. the flashin, ime, does help the notice you approaching tho.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote