SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-06-06, 11:10 AM   #1
TheMickster

Default Anyone owned a ZX7R?

I've been on the look out for an upgrade from the SV (keep changing my mind all the time on what to get so far its gone from Aprilia Falco or Mille, GSXR 600/750 K4 on).

I've always wanted a ZX7R since my younger days of watching WSB and BSB and i've seen a few a reasonable prices(being sensible). I would probably exceed my budget buying any of the above although falco's are pretty cheap but the insurance would be quite high.

Anyone owned one, got any advice on what to look out for when buying etc.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers
Mike
Old 09-06-06, 01:41 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Never owned one but I rode one and was an absolute peach.Great handling bike and more than adequate squirt.Too "focused" riding position for me though.
The best looking ZX as well IMHO.
They barely changed in their ?seven year production so condition is much more important than age,and they are a bit of a "cult" bike so not very fashionable.Too heavy for the fashion police That means you should get one really cheap.Sounds good to me.
Old 09-06-06, 03:13 PM   #3
BillyC
Mega Poster

I think you'll find that Coombest (Tim) currently owns one.
Old 09-06-06, 04:05 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

PB just did a project bike with one, and it turned out rather nice... A bit silly, but overall it came together nicely. I realyl don't like the look, big fat face and cheeks, but that's a matter of taste.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 07:37 PM   #5
Scooby Drew

By a ZX6 B1H instead. Go on you know you wanna...
Old 09-06-06, 07:45 PM   #6
steveg

Default re

Cracking bikes , the weight is not an issue on the road & you can pick them up cheap.
I had the zxr750 ( previous model) & I actually perferred this one
, however you've got a better chance of getting a clean zx7r as they are newer.
They are fairly committed for commuting use & they can wipe out your licence quickly as compared with a sv650 they are very fast .

Take one out for a test ride & you will love it , you can get a cleanish one for 2 - 2.5 k if you shop around.

A pic of my old zxr750

cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-06, 11:59 AM   #7
DanAbnormal

Hi mate,

I've owned two of these beauties and will more than likely get another at some point. I first had a 1999 P3 and a 1996 P1. Both bikes were absolutely stonking. I learnt to get my kneedown on teh ZX7R as the front end is so stable. These bikes are gorgeous and the twin air unduction sounds awesome. As already said the desing never changed on this bike, they got it spot on first time round. These bikes can still go for 4k plus for a low mileage late model but to be honest my 1996 was a nine year old bike and felt just as good as the 99 one I had. Yes they are a little heavy compared to modern bikes but they have the midrange grunt that a lot of newer 600's don't. Let me tell you, I have done many a traffic light grand prix and this bikes can still whip newer, lighter 600's despite what their owners might say. The ride height is very low which makes the bike feel much lighter than it is. It is also very comfy after about a week of getting used to it. I used to commute to London everyday (70 mile round trip) and found it MUCH more comfy than my new SV650. I would spend in the region of 2'500 - 3k and you should get a decent one. Mileage is not such an issue provided history is provided. Those engines are bullet-proof. When you goto look at one make sure you hear it running but don't be put off by a slight rattling noise, Kawasaki engines are very noisey. Also check the engine block for leaks, my mate reckons a weak point of the bike is that he had a gasket blow and it cost him the thick end of £800 to fix. I never experienced this though. Also when it's running make sure it doesn't sound 'fluffy'. This can be due to old HT leads (on the P1's at least). I would have another one of these anytime. Insurance is not much different from the SV if you have a clean licence and some no claims. TPFT for me was £700 after having my licence for 1 year and 0 ncb.

Good luck.

Dan
Old 12-06-06, 12:37 PM   #8
Toypop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Drew
I agree and not through any bias. No point messing around with an old bike like that. It would be nothing but trouble. A 636 is a faster bike and will do the quarter quicker, not sure about the torque spread but the ZX6R pulls plenty quick enough. Plus better brakes and handling etc.
Old 12-06-06, 12:46 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toypop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Drew
I agree and not through any bias. No point messing around with an old bike like that. It would be nothing but trouble. A 636 is a faster bike and will do the quarter quicker, not sure about the torque spread but the ZX6R pulls plenty quick enough. Plus better brakes and handling etc.
Yes but sometimes it not all about speed and stats etc etc. IMHO a 7R is one of those classic bikes that doesnt matter how old or whatever it is some people have a soft spot for.

As for it "being nothing but trouble" again I dont necessarily agree. It might have been owned by somebody who loved it and cherished it and its had plenty of TLC and been looked after properly.

Pesonally if you want one go and test ride if you like it buy it

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-06, 04:13 PM   #10
Iansv

Lovely bikes, always wanted one but its getting harder and harder to find a nice one now