SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-12-06, 11:07 PM   #1
krhall

Default Fuel Gauge?

Why don't bikes have them?

I know that is probably a really stupid question, but if I don't ask I'll never know!
Old 04-12-06, 11:10 PM   #2
kwak zzr

some do some dont? i fill up and set the trip meter to 0000 when ive done 100miles i fill up again.
Old 04-12-06, 11:10 PM   #3
krhall

Yeah that's what I've been doing! Just wondered why?
Old 04-12-06, 11:13 PM   #4
jkchops

My 125 has one but i still used to reset the trip after each fill up just as i do now with my SV.
Old 05-12-06, 08:18 AM   #5
Mogs

Most riders use the trip meter and the manufacturers will know this, they can make a cost saving without it effecting sales. If there is one it is probably not reliable.
Old 05-12-06, 08:42 AM   #6
hovis

yup, when the light comes on........fill her up
Old 05-12-06, 09:12 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

given the stepped nature of most bike tanks gauges tend to be slow to react when near full and quick when at the bottom, as apposed to car tanks which are mostly flatter bottomed.

although some bikes do have fuel gauges, they tend do be less than linear in their reading (stay on full or the first quarter for ages, then the middle bit works normally, followed by the last bit dropping like a stone)

as most are found to be approximate at best it's not a priority.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 09:15 AM   #8
mysteryjimbo

Mine works a treat. Drops one notch every 35 - 40 miles. At reserve my trip meter switches to F so i know home many miles i've done on reserve.
Old 05-12-06, 09:24 AM   #9
Kate

Honda's have a rough fuel gauge. When you get low 5 bars appear and they flash and slowly disappear as you get lower and lower. Lol, when I got on the CBR for the first time I saw the five bars and assumed I had a full tank and did a 25 mile ride
Old 05-12-06, 09:33 AM   #10
Beenz

For a bike fuel guage to work more accurately, the tank would need to be baffled to slow the sloshing of petrol about, that would add extra cost to the tank.

I've had a few bikes with guages and all apart from the XJ900 of yester decade were pretty poo. Most annoying was the Kwak GT750, you could use half the tank and it would still read full, then it would indicate empty 30 miles before hitting reserve (remember that?) with a bright blinking red LED that would wig you out enough to make you fill it up.