SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-10-08, 07:52 PM   #1
ooger

Exclamation Circuit Diagram: Replacing 1 horn with 2 horns

Right, after much electrical shenanigans this afternoon, I'm the proud owner of 2 new Stebel horns, and lots of electrical wire, an inline fuse, a 30a relay and a massive toolbox .

I'm about to begin to cobble the stuff together, but would ask you, is this (partial) circuit diagram correct?

How does it "finish" please, org?

Please feel free to photoshop it up if you know the answer....I've searched, and searched and searched. I think my diagram has potential to be the best on the internet (as long as its not wrong/dangerous)

PS - I don't have the relay with me, otherwise I'd have numbered the points, 85,86,87,30 (I think:

1=85
2=86
3=87
4=30
)
Old 18-10-08, 08:04 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Circuit Diagram: Replacing 1 horn with 2 horns

1 5A fuse for 2 stebel horns in parallel?

Nobbylad... paging Nobbylad...

EDIT: Well, before he get's here, look at this thread a second.

In that picture, put an appropriate fuse in, then you can add the 2nd stebel in parallel. Make sure all wires can hold the current passing through them.

If needed, unplug the stock horn, and the wire that runs to the stock horn, plug it into the relay where appropriate (see diagram by Nobbylad).

Last edited by Baph; 18-10-08 at 08:09 PM.
Old 18-10-08, 08:09 PM   #3
ooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
1 5A fuse for 2 stebel horns in parallel?

Noddylad... paging Noddylad...
Right, this is why I don't make bombs for a living. Help me (when you're finished sniggering at my non-standard (yet pretty) lines!

(Actually, I got the 5A fuse "idea" from another site)

Old 18-10-08, 08:10 PM   #4
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooger View Post
Right, this is why I don't make bombs for a living. Help me (when you're finished sniggering at my non-standard (yet pretty) lines!
I was posting a filler, giggling a little, then going off to search for Nobby's post. Scroll up. Give me a few mins to remind myself of the current draw on the stebel, and I'll be back with you.

EDIT: The Stebel Magnum is apparently 20A. You have tow in parallel! Is it the Magnum, or the Nautilus that you have?

Last edited by Baph; 18-10-08 at 08:15 PM.
Old 18-10-08, 08:17 PM   #5
ooger

Thanks Baph, So far I've removed the standard horn, and pulled the connector up to the headstock, before chopping the standard connector off and "female spading it" (this is true) ready for plan B/C/D

I got a bit carried away and wanted to test the horns actually worked (its the Magnum x2 set) and cheekily wired them in parallel with no relay "just to check".

They work. The dog was no longer asleep by the back wheel.

EDIT: Yes, this was a pretty unwise idea, and was promptly disconnected, after much laughing.

Last edited by ooger; 18-10-08 at 08:19 PM.
Old 18-10-08, 08:24 PM   #6
Baph

OK, Nobbylad's diagram... put a fuse between the battery & pin 87 on the relay. Make this a 40A fuse, as each Magnum draws max 20A in operation.

All wires other than the stock wiring MUST be capable of holding 40A at 12V without melting.

Take the "spaded" stock wire, and plug it into pin 86 on the relay, ignoring the stock horn in the diagram.

Job jobbed.
Old 18-10-08, 08:33 PM   #7
ooger

OK, this sort of makes sense but using said diagram:

...that means theres a horn missing (I've got two) I assume the 2nd horn can go between the first Stebel and the frame - if the Stock horn is being ignored in this instance, or (more simply) it can substitute the "Stock Horn". Thats actually much more sensible.

Yes?
Old 18-10-08, 08:38 PM   #8
Baph

No. Well, sort of.

If you put a Stebel where the stock horn is in the diagram, it will work, but you run the risk of melting the stock wires, as they can't cope with the 20A drawn. You can mitigate that risk, by putting a fuse inline from the 1st Stebel to the relay, if that's what you want to do. Quite a few people run Stebel's without a fuse as well - but it's definately not recommended.

You could also put the 2nd Stebel between the one in the diagram, and the frame - that would work too.

Mine is wired* so that there are two wires coming from pin 30 on the relay, one to each horn, then each horn goes to ground by the frame.

* example of my wiring over simplified, as I actually have 4 horns on my bike, 2 magnums & 2 air horns (powered by a one compressor).
Old 18-10-08, 08:43 PM   #9
ooger

Right.

I'm going to go for the 2 connections at pin 30 to ground, mainly cos trips to Maplins are so pricy (I get sucked in by Managers Clearances, much like taking the wife to buy a pint of milk and coming back with >30 items) ... and I don't want to melt a wire.

This horn thing is rather addictive isnt it?

I bet I start using it much more liberally now....

PS - ta v. much
Old 18-10-08, 08:46 PM   #10
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
* example of my wiring over simplified, as I actually have 4 horns on my bike, 2 magnums & 2 air horns (powered by a one compressor).
What the hell for?

Over the last 10 years I must have used my horn a maximum of 3 or 4 times for it's proper and intended use.

If I was using the horn that much that 4 were needed to make my presence known, I'd take a long hard look at my riding style and modify it accordingly.