SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-10-11, 06:58 PM   #1
alfa.rbt

Default Tools - opinion and help needed

As a title says need a opinion on some tool kits. Question is - are they good quality, anyone used that make (DRAPER), will I need them or you would suggest something else? Also what else would you suggest to buy.

Expert Quality
Fine 72 tooth high precision stainless steel ratchet with innovative 'wing' style ratchet handle for comfort and control
Packed in carrying case with display sleeve.
Contents

-9 Draper Expert HI-TORQ 6 point sockets size: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12mm;
-Reversible wing ratchet with 10mm drive;
-10mm sq. drive adaptor with "quick release" button;
-10mm x 1/4" hex. spring bit adaptor;
-1/4" sq. drive x 1/4" hex. adaptor;
-3 plain slot bits size: 4.0, 5.5 and 7.0mm;
-2 cross slot insert bits: No.1 and 2;
-4 Draper TX-STAR insert bits: T10, T15, T20 and T30

Expert Quality, chrome vanadium steel hardened, tempered and satin chrome plated for corrosion protection
Sockets have knurled ring for extra grip
Packed in steel carrying case with laser cut foam insert and display sleeve.
Contents:

-18 Draper Expert HI-TORQ 6 point sockets size: 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24, 27, 30 and 32mm;
-6 Draper Expert HI-TORQ 6 point deep sockets size: 10, 11, 12, 13, 17 and 19mm;
-2 Draper Expert HI-TORQ spark plug sockets size: 10 and 14mm;
-Reversible ratchet with "quick release" button;
-2 wobble extension bars with hex.
-Outer end size: 125 and 150mm;
-Tee bar head/3/8" (F) x 1/2" (M) converter;
-Universal joint
-Tee bar head/converter when used with extension bar forms a sliding tee bar
Old 26-10-11, 07:03 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tools - opinion and help needed

Someone on here used to be a Draper rep and recommended the Expert range, but not below that

I've got Halfords Pro stuff and thats very good to, plus they do offers from time to time

But that Expert stuff looks ok to me
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-11, 07:14 PM   #3
martin15s

We“re agents for Draper here in Spain.Their expert range is good value and has a lifetime guarantee against defects (except for moving parts). More expensive and as good as SnapOn are AST. You can only get them in UK from distributors (motor factors) but they are superb. ican recommend their S152set - a 52 piece 1/4" socket, allen and torx kit. If you want more info PM me (I do work for them) orcheck their web site.
Old 27-10-11, 08:24 AM   #4
m`baubz

i'd look for regular hexagonal sockets. these flowery-shaped ones round off
bolts, even though the design is supposed to prevent that.
Old 27-10-11, 08:33 AM   #5
mister c
Mega Poster

I've had & used Draper expert stuff for many years & can wholeheartedly recommend it. As said before, it does have a lifetime warranty, but, to be honest I've never had to use it on any of their tools
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-11, 08:59 AM   #6
-Ralph-

Draper Expert OK, Halfords Pro stuff good.

If you really want quality without SnapOn prices however, look at Teng Tools
Old 27-10-11, 09:22 AM   #7
Icanopit

Hi, I purchased the following set from Halfords for my son in law last Christmas and they are currently on offer for £100 a comprehensive set and a good base to start from, you will always add items as needs arise, Halfords Cat code: 370635-0

As a now retired "professional user" I used SnapOn, even original purchases now very old still remain unworn unlike me??

JOHN
Old 27-10-11, 09:52 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

if you are going to buy sockets get proper 6 sided ones.

made up kits are fine but you will never use some of the sockets on an SV, like 11, 15, 16, 18, 27mm and the 14mm plug socket. ok so they come in a pretty case which keeps the bits tools all together which is handy.

you might want to get:

hex bits (allan) with proper socket ends and if i remember right you only need 4. 4mm, 6mm, 8mm and 12mm.

a 2/32 (1.5mm) nail punch for pushing plastic snap rivets.

a number 2 philips screwdriver

better to buy what you need and buy quality.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-11, 09:55 AM   #9
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icanopit View Post
Hi, I purchased the following set from Halfords for my son in law last Christmas and they are currently on offer for £100 a comprehensive set and a good base to start from, you will always add items as needs arise, Halfords Cat code: 370635-0
I have the same one, very good, very versatile.
Old 27-10-11, 09:59 AM   #10
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
if you are going to buy sockets get proper 6 sided ones.

made up kits are fine but you will never use some of the sockets on an SV, like 11, 15, 16, 18, 27mm and the 14mm plug socket. ok so they come in a pretty case which keeps the bits tools all together which is handy.

you might want to get:

hex bits (allan) with proper socket ends and if i remember right you only need 4. 4mm, 6mm, 8mm and 12mm.

a 2/32 (1.5mm) nail punch for pushing plastic snap rivets.

a number 2 philips screwdriver

better to buy what you need and buy quality.
Good advice if you can't afford to buy a set, with tools it really is buy cheap, buy twice, or struggle with the job. Good tools makes the job so much easier.

The trouble with doing it this way, is you buy the stuff you need for your SV, then you get half way through servicing your lawn mower, and find you need something you don't have, so the job stops whilst you go to the shops, maybe they don't have stock, etc, etc. I do prefer to buy a comprehensive set, so much easier to go to your tray and pick up the correct tool for the job (for insatnce you'll end up using a spanner, or an adjustable, or worse pliers, where you really need a socket because you don't have the right size), but if you can't afford to invest in a quality set, buy separate pieces.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 27-10-11 at 10:01 AM.