SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-04-06, 02:57 PM   #1
lockery

Default Anyone know what the green box electrical part is called?

OK, I have established that on my 1999 SV650S there is a fuse which has melted into nothing in a green semi-clear fuse box with 2 large cables screwed onto the part which I presume is from the battery. It sits on the right hand side of the bike between the battery area and the fuel tank. It has 2 fuses inside and a load of wires coming from the top which are plugged in to the part. 2 large wires in the front.

I have a 30 amp fuse which has melted and the part still has much of it in there and so I need to replace it.

Any ideas what this thing is called or where to look it up on a diagram?

Thanks for the help... assuming anyone will or can.
Old 14-04-06, 03:05 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Starter solenoid, sometimes referred to as starter relay, also contains one fuse - the main fuse, the other is a spare 30A.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-06, 03:05 PM   #3

i believe it is the starter relay fuse holder thingy magigy...
hope that helps
Old 14-04-06, 03:15 PM   #4
lockery

Default cool, cheers

Thanks for that. I just looked up a manual and downloaded it. It said the same thing. Does any one know if its easy to change by someone who is not good at this kind of thing... also, is it an expensive item?
Old 14-04-06, 03:24 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Don't know about price, but it's easy to change:

Disconnect battery, remove battery and starter wires from solenoid - noting what went where, remove multi-plug, wiggle solenoid off it's rubber mounts, wiggle new one into place, replace wires and plug, reconnect battery.

Don't forget to make sure the green placcy cover has the two heavy cables running through the hole in it.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-06, 03:28 PM   #6
lockery

Cool, does the part need to be for an SV or can it come from another suzuki. I remember reading about someone who used a GSXR regulator rectifier rather than an SV and it was about a 3rd of the cost of my SV part.

Does that work with these items too do you think... Im just starting to get into the concept that a bikes parts can be touched without it all blowing up!
Old 14-04-06, 03:42 PM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Got a spare here if your interested?

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-06, 03:53 PM   #8
lockery

Hi Mark, is it new or old, SV 1999 or something else? What are you asking for it?

David
Old 14-04-06, 04:25 PM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockery
Hi Mark, is it new or old, SV 1999 or something else? What are you asking for it?

David
It's of a k1 so will fit (although unless I'm mistaken only the rubber mount is different on the later ones anyway)

£10 to you sir, I see your only in Shoreditch as I'm going up to Covent garden this evening I could perhap drop it off?

Let Me know in the next hour or so.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-06, 04:29 PM   #10
lockery

Just sent you an email with my number on it Mark. Tonight would be good.

David