SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-01-08, 04:35 PM   #1
maultin

Default optimate III or oxford maximiser

spotted this. is it better or not as good as the optimate III ?
http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk...p?prod=OXOF958

also, has anyone any experience of the oxford the maximiser 360T that was brought out recently?
http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3...d=33&pid=197&p=

thanks

Alan
Old 13-01-08, 05:15 PM   #2
Biker_Billy

Default Re: optimate III or oxford maximiser

Ive got the 360T, bought it a few weeks ago as an impulse buy - don't normally do that sort of thing, normally research something before I buy it but the SV was not being used and I thought it would save me the cost of a new battery.

Was annoyed with myself when I got home, cos I looked through a Ride mag review of battery chargers, and it didn't do too well, however, this was because the report said that the charger didn't give a float charge once it was charged up - i.e. it would recover a battery to full charge but wouldnt top it up occasionally...

However, it does! - I read the instuctions and it said it gives a float charge - it measures the drop over an hour period, then tops up as necessary - I even sat in the garage to make sure it does!! - How sad is that?!?!

Anyho...long way to answer a simple question, but I've got the 360T and it seems to be working just fine...btw it also can be used on cars too...

HTH,

Billy.
Old 13-01-08, 05:24 PM   #3
maultin

Thanks Billy, how much did you pay for your T360? And where from?

Alan
Old 13-01-08, 05:26 PM   #4
Biker_Billy

I paid too much...Hein Gericke...think it was a shade under 50 quid, which I'm still smarting from now tbh...tight northerner me...

Mind you, went into Heiny G yesterday and thank God it wasn't reduced in the sale - would have been gutted!

I think the one on Busters website is just the old version of the 360T tbh - if it was my money, think I'd go with the 20 quid one...but as I said, I'm a tight northerner!
Old 13-01-08, 05:31 PM   #5
maultin

tight northerner myself, but also a bit of a magpie - i cant resist shiny things, so i think i will wnd up on ebay looking for someone selling them for less than £45

thanks for the info

Alan
Old 13-01-08, 05:34 PM   #6
Biker_Billy

Am sure I've seen them on various websites for around 40-45...if I can find it I'll post it on here...
Old 13-01-08, 05:35 PM   #7
Biker_Billy

40 quid here...

http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/p...-360T-518.aspx
Old 13-01-08, 05:37 PM   #8
maultin

i spotted this one on ebay with no bids on it
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=013
there is also one from the same seller at £39 (inc p&p) with 4 bids on it
Old 13-01-08, 06:04 PM   #9
Steelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by maultin View Post
spotted this. is it better or not as good as the optimate III ?
http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk...p?prod=OXOF958

also, has anyone any experience of the oxford the maximiser 360T that was brought out recently?
http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3...d=33&pid=197&p=

thanks

Alan

If it helps, I recently bought an Optimate IIISP for £39.99 (usually £44.99) from SMC (Sheffield Motorcycle Centre, previously noted by Orgers as being good guys) - not sure if they do a postal service, but could find out for you. The good thing with this is that you get a free 2.5m extention lead for the connection that goes to your bike (normally £15 or so) and a free wall bracket (£not sure but must be £5 or so)

The Optimate did reasonably well in the Ride test (I tried to buy the Best Buy Accumate but couldn't find it anywhere, even tho' it's distributed by the same people as Optimate) and having used it last weekend, it checked and recovered my flat battery and maintained it overnight

So a Steelman recommended buy

Tim
Old 13-01-08, 06:11 PM   #10
Biker_Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
If it helps, I recently bought an Optimate IIISP for £39.99 (usually £44.99) from SMC (Sheffield Motorcycle Centre, previously noted by Orgers as being good guys) - not sure if they do a postal service, but could find out for you. The good thing with this is that you get a free 2.5m extention lead for the connection that goes to your bike (normally £15 or so) and a free wall bracket (£not sure but must be £5 or so)

The Optimate did reasonably well in the Ride test (I tried to buy the Best Buy Accumate but couldn't find it anywhere, even tho' it's distributed by the same people as Optimate) and having used it last weekend, it checked and recovered my flat battery and maintained it overnight

So a Steelman recommended buy

Tim
+1 - I think with hindsight I would have done the same...seems to do a similar job to the 360T but cheaper....

On a side note, used to live in Sheffield - SMC are good guys aren't they - put up with me sitting on just about every bike one afternoon and were nothing but helpful!