SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-02-14, 05:26 PM   #1
aarond

Default Kitchens...

Hi so in the process of buying my first place and it needs gutted.

The kitchen is the priority it still had that old wood finish to the walls and the kitchen is (very) small.

I had waited to maybe look at second hand but due to how small the kitchen is more likely buy something hopefully relatively cheap take home kitchens that you make up your self to get more wall units.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Think about wickes?
Old 08-02-14, 06:27 PM   #2
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Kitchens...

Wickes are good but if you know someone with a trade account at Howdens have a look there. Don't go to ikea what ever you do.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 06:29 PM   #3
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Also if you're wanting to do it on the cheap have you thought about refacing the units with vinyl?. Although it sounds crap the finish is surprisingly good.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 06:48 PM   #4
aarond

Default Kitchens...

Hi thanks don't know anyone with a trade account there unfortunately! Covering isn't an option really as many are missing drawers or doors.

Also I don't think the way currently set out is good use of space and I need to rip out all that horrid fake wood paneling so likely the kitchen will come too.
Old 08-02-14, 06:50 PM   #5
Specialone

I can only echo gav's sentiments about ikea kitchens, I refuse to fit them now.

Wickes are ok for a DIY store supplier, haven't fitted a wickes kitchen in two years so not sure what they are like now but any flat pack kitchen is the cheap end of the market, factory assembled units are much better made.
Old 08-02-14, 06:58 PM   #6
aarond

Default Kitchens...

Yeah I don't doubt that but unfortunately I am on the cheap side of the market right now so needs must
Old 08-02-14, 06:59 PM   #7
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Go and get some designs made and quotes generated from the better places (except Magnet, they're a bloody rip off), it doesn't cost anything and will if nothing else ensure you know what your options are and the rough costs involved to get it done....For example Wren make factory assembled stuff which can be price matched to others offerings (they do quote against Wickes for example) and depending on your kitchen might make for a simple installation that you could do with a second pair of hands available to you?

I'd get a basic design figured out with one of the kitchen companies that makes best use of the space and go from there....

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 08-02-14 at 07:01 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 07:11 PM   #8
aarond

Default Kitchens...

This is a quick mock up I did based on measurements I took and the wickes unit dimensions. Units in the corner will be corner units but design software doesn't allow for that. Also the work top would extend to the cooker again design software flaw. The (gas) cooker, sink, washing machine are all pretty much fixed where they are located as that's where supply is and I can't really afford to reroute things.
Old 08-02-14, 07:20 PM   #9
Citizen

Wickes kitchens are fine, as is Howdens.

Ikea kitchens used to sit back flush with the wall causing no end of pipework grief, not sure if they still do, been off the tools for a number of years now.
Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 07:33 PM   #10
Bluepete
Mega Poster

I have a kitchen from these guys.

http://www.kutchenhaus.co.uk/

They are factory pre made to your exact specs and either delivered either for self fit (much cheaper and dead easy) or as a supply and fit deal. The planning is free and face to face, so you can chop and change options to get the best price/spec combo.

I've no idea how much it would be for you, but after ten years of kids, cats a dog, and me hacking away with knives and the odd bit of DIY on the surfaces when Mrs BP isn't looking, the kitchen still looks perfect.

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote