SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-04-14, 04:36 PM   #1
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

Default possible job promotion.. Advice needed please?

Okay, so as most of you know I work at Jessops..
I've got myself an interview tomorrow with my current manager to be promoted to a Team Leader / Supervisor.

I'm up against an Ex Teamleader who's asking for his job back, who had his interview this morning. The manager has to me he needs me to think about how i can bring more profit to the store, and how he can justify the pay rise and what i'll do differently to what i do now (I've worked there for years so feel as though I'm already at somewhat of a Teamleader position).

Basically, I'm coming up with things like 'driving sales to smash targets', 'pushing the team to deal with situations effectively and positively', offer shop floor training to the sales guys to ensure their knowledge and selling techniques are top notch.

I can't really think of anything thats really going to blow it out of the water though, which is why i come to the mighty org for some advice or tips...

Any ideas?

Sorry if I've missed anything, i'll be active on this all night so please, fire away and i'll respond asap..

Thanks

Lew
LewSpeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 05:03 PM   #2
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Hi mate,

From personal experience of trying to negotiate pay rises because I do more than was required of me, which other than the job title sounds like your situation, I found it hard to convince them of extra things I did or could do as it seemed "normal".

You say you feel like you are at that level already, so if you can, find examples of where you go above and beyond what is your "normal" role that could be considered as more of a senior responsibility. I find it hard to try and show what could be done as opposed to what is done presently.

That being said, if you have ideas about how things could be improved etc that is great, as you can then say I have these ideas but don't have the role to effectively implement them. Give examples but don't be too specific. Don't want him nicking your good ideas!

Above all sell yourself as you would in any interview. Where you have strengths that can really shine as a TL show it.

Hope that makes sense in the slightest and good luck for tomorrow!
Old 03-04-14, 05:15 PM   #3
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

Default Re: possible job promotion.. Advice needed please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroUK View Post
Hi mate,

From personal experience of trying to negotiate pay rises because I do more than was required of me, which other than the job title sounds like your situation, I found it hard to convince them of extra things I did or could do as it seemed "normal".

You say you feel like you are at that level already, so if you can, find examples of where you go above and beyond what is your "normal" role that could be considered as more of a senior responsibility. I find it hard to try and show what could be done as opposed to what is done presently.

That being said, if you have ideas about how things could be improved etc that is great, as you can then say I have these ideas but don't have the role to effectively implement them. Give examples but don't be too specific. Don't want him nicking your good ideas!

Above all sell yourself as you would in any interview. Where you have strengths that can really shine as a TL show it.

Hope that makes sense in the slightest and good luck for tomorrow!

Thanks for that matey. Yeh, you actually seem to be understanding me perfectly, and how you described it there sums up the situation perfectly.
I'm just trying to think of specific things that i can hit him with that will help to lead the team towards success..

Anybody any more ideas?
Old 03-04-14, 05:18 PM   #4
PyroUK
Mega Poster

That's a bloody miracle! Haha

Can I ask, the competition, how long ago and why did he leave the role and did he stay with the company or go external?

Also how did he get on and how do you get on with your manager?
Old 03-04-14, 05:31 PM   #5
Stuuk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroUK View Post
That's a bloody miracle! Haha

Can I ask, the competition, how long ago and why did he leave the role and did he stay with the company or go external?

Also how did he get on and how do you get on with your manager?

Mirroring this, also add in how determined you are to do well and prove yourself within such a fantastic company.

Other than that... I now know where to get me some discount on some L glass... )))
Old 03-04-14, 05:35 PM   #6
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

Im not 100% on this other guy, but apparently he left about a year ago but was one of the best sales persons in the company, so ya'know.. No pressure.

I don't really want to go into detail about him because i want to try sell myself the best i can to the manager, regardless of any competition.
Me and the manager get on really well..

Last edited by LewSpeight; 03-04-14 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-04-14, 05:39 PM   #7
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

You'll ensure every member of staff knows the stock inside out and can convince the customer not to have a look in-store then go off and buy on line.

They will upsell the extras. If I buy a camera you'll make sure the staff convince me I'll need a clear filter if it's an SLR, bag, card reader, separate flash etc and tell me why I need it. I'll respect your advice.

Be the shop the semi pros and keen amateurs with the cash want to go to, not just selling little compacts to numpties, mobiles are killing that market.

You'll make sure that I want to visit the store not wait a week for a delivery that I miss because I was in the shower. You'll stock all that I need, from paper to lenses, at comparable rates to online but if it's faulty I can just bring it back and talk to a human and you'll have trained your team to be amazing.

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 03-04-14 at 05:41 PM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 05:41 PM   #8
PyroUK
Mega Poster

It was mainly to see how much competition, don't talk about him at all.

So he WAS good. But he has been gone for a year or so. Sounds like he went external, I'm guessing that as he has been given an interview, either hr or manager has changed or he left amicably. Could be good and bad.

Essentially then, work on anything that has changed in that time that you can or have embraced and run with. You have an advantage in that respect, you know where the company is, what it's facing and how it can move forwards NOW.

Good that you get on well with the manager, despite the fact that personal opinion shouldn't really impact on interviews no one can completely ignore positive or negative bias.

You have a good head on you and you are keen so I think you are in a good position!

Oh also, as an added thought, ask him how you can help if you get the promotion. Shows willingness and all that
Old 03-04-14, 05:42 PM   #9
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
You'll ensure every member of staff knows the stock inside out and can convince the customer not to have a look in-store then go off and buy on line.

They will upsell the extras. If I buy a camera you'll make sure the staff convince me I'll need a clear filter if it's an SLR, bag, card reader, separate flash etc and tell me why I need it. I'll respect your advice.

Be the shop the semi pros and keen amateurs with the cash want to go to, not just selling little compacts to numpties, mobiles are killing that market.

You'll make sure that I want to visit the store not wait a week for a delivery that I miss because I was in the shower. You'll stock all that I need, from paper to lenses, at comparable rates to online but if it's faulty I can just bring it back and talk to a human and you'll have trained your team to be amazing.

Yeah and that! Haha
Old 03-04-14, 05:45 PM   #10
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Maybe mention things like the recent Which? Report about mobiles killing the compact market. PM me if you need me to send it to you as I'm a subscriber.