SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-09-07, 01:08 PM   #1
pben47

Default Help removing Black Plastic Lugs Please!

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Got my bike back in March (it's an 03 model) and decided to take off various bits to clean and tidy up. Some farings and panels are attached with black lug type stud things which lock. Which is the best way to take these out/off. If i cut them off or damage them is it easy enough to get replacements.

Cheers.
Old 01-09-07, 01:29 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: Help removing Black Plastic Lugs Please!

they are like a rivet design where the middle pushes in to lock the rivet, push the middles back out and the plastic rivet will come loose. you can buy them 10 for £10 off ebay they are expencive for what they are.
Old 01-09-07, 02:15 PM   #3
Ceri JC

Use an awl (spike) of some sort to push the middles in, then grip the larger outer area and pull to extract them (flat headed screwdriver under the edge to lever them up works- be careful about scratches though). They should come out with the middle rivet still in place. Push it back through (so the centre is sticking out) before putting them back in place, then push the centre so it is flat again to lock it in place. HTH.

BTW, The OE suzuki ones are much better than the ebay ones, so try not to break/lose the originals
Old 01-09-07, 02:31 PM   #4
pben47

Hey thanks Kwak and Ceri, easy when you know how, ust learn to be more patient. Only broke 3 out of 4 before I read your replies, so i,ll get a few new ones.

got a bit carried away, hope I can put everything back together lol.
Old 02-09-07, 10:27 AM   #5
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pben47 View Post
Hey thanks Kwak and Ceri, easy when you know how, ust learn to be more patient. Only broke 3 out of 4 before I read your replies, so i,ll get a few new ones.

got a bit carried away, hope I can put everything back together lol.
If you get the ones off ebay (which I probably would, I think the official ones are something silly like £3 each), be aware that they are slightly fatter than stock ones and hence are a tight fit. Also the centre can pop right out (so it falls out of the outer). Certain places on the bike this is less of a problem (eg the top one, above the screw immediately behind the rider's seat) as you can reach down behind it and catch the centre when it pops out (so it doesn't get lost in the recesses of your bike). I'd fit the non-OE ones there, and put the originals where it's a bit more fiddly (eg near the rear lights). HTH