SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-06-10, 09:30 PM   #1
rc mad

Default cam chain tensioner question

hey guys, new around here. I have just got my hands on a 00 sv650s, in pretty good nick, pretty much in original condition apart from an endcan, a shock for this part of the world.

Anyway, just giving the ol girl a once over and it needs new exhaust shims on both cylinders

Got the exhaust cams off ok (and cable tied them to the cam chain so i don't need to reset the timing, a trick i learnt from working my other bike) and am waiting on the shims coming in, most places i look at say i need to remove the cam tensioners to put the cam back in, why can't i just turn the central bolt on the tensioner clockwise to back off the tensioner, re seat the cam then remove the screwdriver from the tensioner? Seems easier than removing the rear tensioner, which is an absolute pita to get at.

btw if you want a real **** of a job try loosening the hydraulic cam tensioner on a bmw dakar, not fun. Well neither is getting at the cylinder head, 45 minutes and a battery / airbox / oil tank later your there, something the sv has in common with its front cylinder, remove the sodding radiator to change a sparkplug

While i'm here what mods are recommended on these bikes, already in progress / done are

hagon fork springs
braided front brake lines
zx6 shock

Also done all fluids on the bike, just waiting on the paint shop and the shims now. what cam out of the rear cylinders inner bleed nipple looked like black treacle
Old 29-06-10, 12:03 AM   #2
zadar

Default Re: cam chain tensioner question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad View Post

Got the exhaust cams off ok (and cable tied them to the cam chain so i don't need to reset the timing, a trick i learnt from working my other bike) and am waiting on the shims coming in, most places i look at say i need to remove the cam tensioners to put the cam back in, why can't i just turn the central bolt on the tensioner clockwise to back off the tensioner, re seat the cam then remove the screwdriver from the tensioner? Seems easier than removing the rear tensioner, which is an absolute pita to get at.
Be careful doing zip tie trick, your chain can still jump crank sprocket.
You can do screwdriver holding tensioner but you usually need 3 hands to set cams and hold screwdriver. If you make little tool and insert in tensioner it makes life easier.
Old 29-06-10, 07:03 PM   #3
rc mad

rule of thumb when using the cable tie trick is to always check the timing before putting the covers back on

thanks for the warning tho, it's never gone wrong yet, but there's always the first time.

Anyway, this tool, what is it?
Old 29-06-10, 07:17 PM   #4
zadar

Just piece of sheet metal cut in two steps, first step fits screw like your screwdriver and next step fits slot in tensioner housing where 10mm bolt is threaded in.