SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-07-06, 08:09 PM   #1
Jdubya

Default Career change...

Anyone done this Was it easy Was it a smooth transition and are you glad you did it I've just had enough of my current job and have tried different companies, different disciplines, etc. but have come to the realisation that it is what I do that most annoys me and that perhaps I made the wrong decision after leaving school Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm not too sure what I want to do yet but whatever it is will have to pay the mortgage and cover expenses.
Old 17-07-06, 08:18 PM   #2
TVR_Tracy

Default Re: Career change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubya
I've just had enough of my current job and have tried different companies, different disciplines, etc.
Examples of?

I'm away to ditch science (my safety blanket) next year and head to the city for something completely different (IT, finance or something else, I'm still undecided) I have an MSc in computing, so should be able to make that transition easier than other biochem graduates... I was a bit unsure at first, but talking to Rictus last week at the Guildford meet, I feel it is possible (Thanks Rictus).

Good luck J
Old 17-07-06, 08:20 PM   #3
lynw

Yes.
Sort of.
Yes.

If you know you're not happy then first of all you need to consider what it is you want to do instead. Give that a lot of thought and research before deciding.

Next consider what you have to consider how to do it. Do you need retraining/qualifications/certifications to show you can do the job? If so, consider how to get them - though I suspect studying while working will be the only option. However, consider most employers look favourably on getting qualifications while working - shows you can manage your time and commitments well and are prepared to put a lot of effort into it.

Also consider the cost of how to get those certifications and whether your family can afford it.

If you've got that far - then go do it. Something I can recommend. I havent as such changed careers, more had two running at the same time. I got my degree in computing but graduated in the IT recession in the early 90s with outdated skills. A year later VAT was the only thing I applied for and got, but I was auditing computer accounts systems with my background. I started the occasional training then and have been doing that on and off for the past 13 years alongside my VAT work.

Ive now shifted to ft IT training and Im enjoying it. I guess one benefit of getting into a department I dreamed of and doing something Im good at and enjoy. Thats not to say I havent enjoyed my time with Customs - it was varied enough to keep me doing different things. But if youre not happy, I can only say go for it.

As an aside, to anyone who wants a career change this may be worth finding out about. Some grades require a degree but some dont.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?...=1113059303980
Old 17-07-06, 08:21 PM   #4
Jdubya

Default Re: Career change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR_Tracy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubya
I've just had enough of my current job and have tried different companies, different disciplines, etc.
Examples of?
I trained as a civil engineer working on construction sites setting out anything from bridges, buildings, railway tunnels, railway platforms, etc.
Old 17-07-06, 08:29 PM   #5
TVR_Tracy

Is there anything you'd particularly like to do? Are you mathematical? Confident on the computer? Good with languages? Artistic? etc

Lyn has some very valuable points there I might add, some of which I have noted
Old 17-07-06, 08:37 PM   #6
Jdubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR_Tracy
Is there anything you'd particularly like to do? Are you mathematical? Confident on the computer? Good with languages? Artistic? etc

Lyn has some very valuable points there I might add, some of which I have noted
Mathematical? Yes...
Confident on a pc? Yes...
Godd with languages?...can only speak two fluently but can get by with 2 more(just about anyway )
Artistic? Depends...I cant draw free hand to save my life but there are other things I enjoy doing that some may consider to be artistic

Ideally I would like to try and use some of the skills gained over the last few years working on sites, but that would obviously depend on the job requirements. I'm not too sure about full-time study as I have bills to pay and a family to keep. Mind, the missus doesn't earn too badly so if push came to shove, a short term study may be an option.
Regarding IT, I think the market is very flooded at the moment so it may not be the best choice
Old 17-07-06, 08:45 PM   #7
TVR_Tracy

You're lucky that you can rely to some extent on your wifes earnings.

But I can imagine it's quite a daunting feeling coming out your comfort zone, but good on you. You have to be happy

I guess ideally you need to see a careers advisor, is this an option?

Fluent in 2 languages, thats good for a Brit I have a basic understanding of German and Dutch and that's about it
Old 17-07-06, 08:47 PM   #8
timwilky
Mega Poster

My degree is Mech Eng and I worked for 3 yrs as an R&D engineer and had made it to the companies top technical grade in those 3 years. I realised that engineers were badly paid, little scope for promotion in a comapny that employed over 400 graduate engineers and a further 1000+ with HNDs, HNC etc. So I got out into software development.

My first job was as an Analyst programmer for a company that manufactured real time cash counting machines and I had to write the back end systems to make a load of these machines produce meaningful data for the BT payphone counting houses.

It was a shock to the system. although in my previous job I had been developing control systems and data logging etc I had never had to think about real time, overlaying, comms etc and trying to cram it all into 128Kwords, including real time O/S, device drivers etc. I must havw winged it well in the probationary period, but learnt a lot quickly.

I still work in engineering environments but always within IT. At one time my whole development team were professional engineers first and software developers second. That way we talked the same language as our "customers" understood what they were asking for and why.
Old 17-07-06, 08:48 PM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Im in the same boat.

Im a part qualified sparks, dont that for 4ish years, and been in reprographics now for the rest of my working life, approx 13ish years. I have worked for only 2 companies, but within 4 different companies. I just dont enjoy what i do anymore. I want to do something different, but havent a scooby as to what. All my fears are the same as JDubya, as in, need o earn an equivilent ammount to pay bills, etc, will it work, etc etc. Its just not easy. Im a very practical person. Im good with my hands, and basicaly a jack of all trades kind of person. Good with people, but have no one skill that stands out.

So, if you work out what you want to do, then let me know
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-06, 09:42 PM   #10
Jdubya

I'm glad I;m not alone here Just had enough of the bull that gets fed every day and having to kiss **** everytime you need/want something. Dont get me wrong, the team I am working with are a brilliant bunch of blokes and we could not have a better working relationship if we tried harder but the managers above us (the decision makers) all wear teflon coated suits while we get the white super-absorbent suits....and everyone knows that **** rolls off teflon and sticks to paper like the proverbial, well, paper I've been looking about and so far all the signs lead toward technical sales/back-up in the construction industry. Yes, I think a careers advisor would prolly be a god starting point but I need to sit down with the wife as well and we need to look at a game plan I suppose. If this had happened 7yrs ago it would be my and only my decision but now it involves a wife and daughter which makes it even harder I just really feel that I need to get out now while I still have a chance of building a career and a future elsewhere