SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 09-07-07, 05:58 PM   #1
gloran

Default puncture repair pilot road tyre

done 200 miles on my michelin pilot road rear tyre, and found a very small piece of sharp perspex had gone into the tyre and deflating it.Does any know if I can have this repaired The slit thats been made by the perspex is very small and is in the middle of the tyre
Old 09-07-07, 07:32 PM   #2
Mr Toad

Default Re: puncture repair pilot road tyre

Sounds like it should be repairable - take it to a decent tyre place and get them to have a look at it.

cheers
Old 10-07-07, 09:51 AM   #3
Baph

Two choices:

1) It could possibly be bunged - a decent tyre shop will be able to advise and do this if you wanted. However, bungs have a "maximum safe speed" rating. I wouldn't personally ride for long on a bung.

2) You can have the tyre sent off to the manufacturer for repairs. These repairs will be good for the entire rating of the tyre (weight, speed & inflation). I always do this, but that's because my tyre shop offer this for free (£20 re-fitting cost).

Those be the choices you're faced with. I've recently had the same thing done to both a Z6 & a PR2, both were sent off to the manufacturer.

HTH.
Old 10-07-07, 09:57 AM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Bung it. Never ever ever had an issue with a repaired tyre with a bing in it from the tyre shop.

Baph, surley its less money to have the tyre repaired with a bung? Even if my local shop remove the wheel, its £17
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 11:38 AM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Baph, surley its less money to have the tyre repaired with a bung? Even if my local shop remove the wheel, its £17
OK, long winded, but still.

I went to the tyre shop for a new front tyre (£90 RiRo), I was planning to get a Z6 (I had that on the rear), but also asked about a nail that was in my rear. It wasn't causing any real problems, but it was slowly seeping air.

They said they could bung it, or it could be sent off for repairs. The bung would have a max safe speed of "around about the speed limit" and given that I ride on twisty roads, I personally didn't relish the risk. If I'm coming off, it's because of a stupid mistake I've made (including not anticipating others doing stupid things), not because I've had a blowout at speed. Also, if I had a blow-out, there's a chance (pretty remote I admit) that the nail that was in my tyre would be fired at high speed at the car behind me. No matter how little the risk, I don't want that happening.

So the upshot of this, was that the rear Z6 would be sent off for repair by Metzler. They didn't have another rear Z6 in at the time, they'd just sold it, so I told him to stick a pair of PR2s on & I'd give them a whirl. £216 in total TYVM.

After the AR, I got a flat in the rear PR2, so went back to the tyre shop (ride in ride out again - limped the bike there and had a whole 8psi in when I rocked up). £20 later I had my old Z6 fitted. £3 more than it costs you for a bung, and the tyre had only been used by me, for a couple of weeks tops.

When I next go for a rear, I'll get my PR2 fitted back to the bike, again, £20. That £20 is for the wheel removing, "new" rubber fitting, new valve (done with every rubber change regardless), balancing, re-fitting the wheel, chain adjust & lube. Oh yeah, and a free drink.

Horses for courses, but I'd rather pay £3 extra for the piece of mind that it's rated to the same as the tyre is out of the factory, rather than relying on the bung to hold.