SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 06-09-15, 02:34 PM   #101
Crawling Finn

Default Re: Pilot Road 4

PR4's were first proper tyres after the OEM Dunlops on my Gladius. Now replaced the rear after 8822 miles and the front has 2.5 mm thread depth left. I used PR3 on my CBR600F in the past which gave me similar mileage but far less even wear, and the feel got looser with wear. My 72 mile commute is about 1/3 twisty B-roads and 2/3 motorway and squaring has never been really a problem. Feel on the edge on dry is much more solid on PR4, probably due to solid edge pattern, which doesn't bother me as I wouldn't get it down on wet anyway. I haven't had anything negative to say about the PR4 - until now - the new rear took 50 grams to balance! It feels well round and vibration free now so perhaps it is OK anyway.
Crawling Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-15, 02:42 AM   #102
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Finn View Post
I haven't had anything negative to say about the PR4 - until now - the new rear took 50 grams to balance! It feels well round and vibration free now so perhaps it is OK anyway.
thats either not fitted properly or your wheel is out of true.

after i changed my discs i can report that there is no buzzing under heavy braking with the PR4, they also seem to like the pressures being a tad lower. i still keep forgetting to take my pressure gauge out and testing the 10% rule though. seems to be no transition between wed and dry grip and feels just the same changing from one to the other.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 10:47 AM   #103
punyXpress
Mega Poster

New PR4s fitted to wheels £220 less £25 fuel voucher.
8430 miles, so obviously not trying hard enough!
Old 12-06-17, 04:03 PM   #104
Bibio
Mega Poster

back to the PR3's

the PR4's were nice but dont have that sure footedness of the PR3's.

for me i just feel more of whats going on between the rubber and the tar with the PR3's where the PR4's felt like a slight disconnection at times. when i was getting the PR3's put on the bloke behind the counter said that a few people were returning to the PR3's after having the PR4's on.

one of the other reasons was that the PR4's are slightly taller to which the tyre rubbed on the undertray occasionally loosing me a good 1000 miles of wear in the process. thats my fault though as the bike is lowered by a silly amount.

there is very little between the PR3's and the PR4's until it rains, the PR3's are superior in the rain but only by a little margin.
Old 15-08-17, 04:34 AM   #105
BanannaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
back to the PR3's

the PR4's were nice but dont have that sure footedness of the PR3's.

for me i just feel more of whats going on between the rubber and the tar with the PR3's where the PR4's felt like a slight disconnection at times. when i was getting the PR3's put on the bloke behind the counter said that a few people were returning to the PR3's after having the PR4's on.

one of the other reasons was that the PR4's are slightly taller to which the tyre rubbed on the undertray occasionally loosing me a good 1000 miles of wear in the process. thats my fault though as the bike is lowered by a silly amount.

there is very little between the PR3's and the PR4's until it rains, the PR3's are superior in the rain but only by a little margin.

Hear a lot of people saying that now that the PR4's have been out a while.

I missed the PR3's because they were having problems with the front tire cupping when they first came out. (and was soon redesigned) so I got another set of PR2's that lasted till the 4's came out.

Michelin US site recommends PR4's with 3's listed as the next alternative, then pilot powers, then the 2's. for all year SV650's.
Oddly for a 2016 Bandit 1250 they recommend PR2's and list PR3's as the only alternative even though PR4's are made in the those sizes. ???
A faster bike billed as a tourer on lesser tyres???

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

Last edited by BanannaMan; 15-08-17 at 04:40 AM.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-17, 09:30 AM   #106
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Think it might be the weight of the Bandit that's the problem, Bill?
After all, none of us EVER rides faster than 70mph, do we
Old 01-11-17, 05:48 PM   #107
shiftin_gear98

After Lances comments just pushed the buy button some PR3's, never had any yet. Interested to see how they are.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 02-11-17 at 01:06 PM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 06:31 PM   #108
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
After Lances comments just push the buy button some PR3, never had any yet. Interested to see how they are.
you will love them

the PR3's are very suspension and pressure sensitive. i personally like this as it shows up week points in my suspension setup. since fettling the bouncy bits the front tyre problems people go on about have disappeared.

OEM pressures worked out perfect for me as it was bang on 10% increase when hot.