SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-03-10, 05:08 PM   #1
Warthog

Default Poll Tax

When thinking of examples of mass demonstrations that have worked in the past, I though of the Poll tax. So, I am a bit young to remember the riots, and I never really got what it was all about. Poll tax was like council tax but instead was levied on individuals rather than properties? Isn't this a much more fair way of doing things? I used to pay tons of council tax living with just two people in a house close to the centre of Oxford, whereas a 5 person family living in a house further from the centre paid significantly less. But they would use the emergency services more than me, produce more waste than me, have more cars that use the road more than me. Why did so many people riot?

Last edited by Warthog; 31-03-10 at 05:20 PM.
Old 31-03-10, 05:16 PM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Poll Tax

I always wondered that myself, I dont know enough about it so this could be interesting.

As far as I can see...everyone just paid an equal amount each? nobody paid more and nobody paid less?

Or have I misunderstood it entirely.

For me and kerry we live in a 4 bed house. So we pay way above average for council tax.

Yet we use bugger all and are lucky if our bins go out once a month let alone every two weeks.

I guess there was alot more big families back in the day, so had to pay alot, where as nowdays with not so many people having large families due to the cost poll tax would be better for most.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-10, 05:28 PM   #3
Davadvice

i was too young to be affected but they charged every one a fortune. think of a 16 year old being asked to pay at a guess an average of 900-1200 a year out of there pocket when they earn 120 a week. my brother was impacted by it and my mum had to pay his as he was earning £30 as a yts.

i agree there should be an individule tax. but it would have to be fair. say split my council tax in half and i pay part and the wife the other based on soul income.

or
give me the option to pay for the "services" as an adhoc agreement. as for the road use that should be the fuel and road fund licence that pays for that.

as it is just now i don't use all the local services i pay for and all the poor kids that have parents that are on benifits and have never worked seem to get better access to these funds where as my kids need to go somwhere else where the comunity isn't so rough and then need to pay full price.
Old 31-03-10, 05:49 PM   #4
eviltwin

AFAIR, put extremely simply, man in massive castle pays the same as man on street...and guess whose bill it was that went up in many cases
Old 31-03-10, 05:51 PM   #5
G
Mega Poster

Was the protest about how crap the poll tax was? or about how crap the new system was?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-10, 06:36 PM   #6
timwilky
Mega Poster

The issue was about fairness. Everyone should pay for local service etc.

The problem was about 14 million pay or should pay for the current services. However under the community charge (It was not a poll tax, that title was hijacked) about 38 million would be eligible to pay.

Of course the work shy feckless lot who had never paid a penny for anything and expected state to subsidise them kicked off. and unfortunately Maggie was by then not strong enough to fight them.

The current system is grossly unfair on those who struggle to remain in family homes after partners die, kids move on etc. They are penalised unfairly for having saved and bought a nice place etc. Why should they pay more than the family of 6 who are using local services such as probation, social services, generating more rubbish etc. with probably 4 time the combined income

Last edited by timwilky; 31-03-10 at 06:41 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-10, 07:53 PM   #7
Specialone

Also, under the old rate system you could have 6 adults in a house paying virtually the same as 2, so when the poll tax came out the people not paying fook all was very annoyed.
I had just left school and had to pay £200 odd for it and my mum didnt even own her own house.
Few friends refused to pay and never did even after getting hounded for it, in the end they gave up asking.
Me, i paid every penny stupidly, my allegience to the tory party waivered a bit around that time.
Old 31-03-10, 07:54 PM   #8
Jabba

IIRC (and I am an old enough (just!)) to remember) the problem was a potentially significant difference in bills from the former "rates" to the new "community charge" (I agree with TW, "poll tax" was a term used by the Labour-supporting red-top newspapers to inflame the situation).

Houses/families with low rate bills were having to face a huge hike in bills in short order without having the disposable (i.e. non-committed) income to support it. Contrast that with families in larger high-rate houses (with the income to support it) seeing their bills drop.

Also, families with higher incomes who chose to live in lower value/lower rate houses to have more disposable income (to spend or save as they chose) were having this choice taken away by the higher charge.

The Community Charge was perceived as being unfair not so much in the idea itself but in the way that it was implemented. It was all or nothing. What we have now is closer to being a half-way house between the old system, where some of the annual charge is levied on the value of the house but there are discounts for single people, students, etc.

HTH

Last edited by Jabba; 31-03-10 at 07:56 PM.
Old 31-03-10, 07:59 PM   #9
Specialone

It was an individual tax, even if you lived at home with your parents YOU was liable for it, as i was.
Old 31-03-10, 08:05 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Bottom line is that the state will raise a certain amount of money in tax and it has to do that from those who have the money available to pay.Therefore the biggest part of the burden will always fall on the middle income people who have a bit of dosh and are numerous enough to provide real money.Thatcher (you cant buck the market) tried to buck that reality by increasing the burden on those with little or no money available she paid the inevitable price.However you dress it up the poll tax was a regressive tax on the poor,and even the more realistic elements of the tory party tried very hard to stop her doing it,but the iron lady knew best.Arrogant bitch.