SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-08-09, 10:18 AM   #1
BournemouthBen

Default Canon 40D...who has experience..?

Hello all,

I guess this is the right place to post a question about a camera!

I currently have a very dated Canon 350D, which has served me very well for the past 2 years or so. I will be starting a photography business with my Dad, which will hopefully run along side my Uni course.

I would like to upgrade my camera to a 40D

I work in a camera shop/studio so I do know what I want. However we don't stock Canon, so (until I go to Jessops) I cant have a play with a 40D.

To start with, I don't have any specific questions, but how do you like it? How is noise control at high ISO, is it comfy, does it feel well built etc?

Please if you could spare a few seconds to write a couple of sentences worth of review!

I have looked into a few reviews of the 50D and for the extra cash it doesn't really offer much more than megapixels. This isn't much of an issue as 10 mp in RAW format with a good lens is perfectly acceptable. However still... anyone with experience?

I am not interested in swapping over to Nikon or Sony or other, so please don't suggest anything other than Canon. This may sound a bit blind, but I have accumulated a very large amount of Canon equipment and it would be stupid to try and replace it from scratch with another brand.

I will probably ask some more questions but lets just start with these

Thanks a bunch.

Ben
Old 10-08-09, 11:08 AM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Canon 40D...who has experience..?

I'm not experiancd with anything other than my nikon (harharhar!) but if you search for samnooshka, and PM her, she uses canon's so she might have experiance, I can't rmember specifically what body's she has though
Old 10-08-09, 11:36 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Canon 40D...who has experience..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero View Post
but if you search for samnooshka, and PM her, she uses canon's so she might have experiance, I can't rmember specifically what body's she has though

Sam uses a 400D or 450D (can't remember which of hand), as backup and a 5D as her main, but worth a PM for her views.

I made a similar move a couple of years ago, from a 350D to a 20D & 30D (haven't the money for a 40), they are both slightly larger, and much better built, the bodies are magnisium and not plastic, so a lttle heavier, adjustability when up at you eye is also easier as the four button back control is replaced with a wheel and central button.

mine take the larger batteries to, which give about three times the life of the small ones, which again makes life easier; especially if you're using an IS lens.

they take all the EFS lens so all your current stuff should work.

anything else I can hel with, just shout.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote