SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-01-09, 01:22 PM   #1
Jackie_Black

Default Is it time to sell?

Hello all,

I've had the SV for nearly 2 years now and think I would like a change. I'm very tempted by the 2008 zx6r offer that is on at George Whites this month. Free alarm, paddock stands, double bubble and tail tidy for £5495 on 0% finance.

They will part ex the SV too which would be great.

I just have a few issues. the ZX6r has 50lb ft of torque at 11k, is this a similar amount to the sv just higher up?

For most of the riding i do (weekend warrior antics and some commuting in summer) i think the zx should be liveable with. Does anyone on here own one so I can pick their brains?

Cheers
Old 11-01-09, 02:55 PM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Is it time to sell?

Going on the fact that most SS600 engine wise feel similar.

The ZX6R will feel completely different to the SV.....below 8krpm 'some' say it will feel slower than an SV but in reality its clearly not, its just the way the power is delivered.....then above 8krpm they are a missle.

Some also say there is no power low down so power takes ages to kick in.....again that depends at where you sit in the revs and how you ride it. Ride an SS600 like an SV twin and its not going to ride the same. There was a fine example of this on %th Gear once......EVO FQ400 Vs Nissan Micra....both start at 20mph to 80mph in top gear.....micra won by a mile......its using the gearing and engine right.

In answer to your question it will be fine, but it is different, and you will need to change your riding style to suit.
Old 11-01-09, 03:35 PM   #3
mike_avfc

i'd suggest find a local Kwak dealer and take one out.

The IL4 engine is different from V-Twin. When you first pick up the bike and are running it in it is very dissapointing due to low revs. When you can open it up and start using revs above 8-9k it is a little rocket.
Old 11-01-09, 03:46 PM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Good advice already, although bear in mind part exing you will get an awful price on your sv. Best to sell private if you've got a week or two.
Old 11-01-09, 04:18 PM   #5
Jackie_Black

I'm going to ring them tommorow and try and thrash out a deal. They are in swindon and i'm in newcastle so it'll be a long distance job. I really like the sv but toward the end of last summer I found i was battering the engine a lot (rev limiter a lot). All of my experience up until the sv has been with 2 strokes and i'm used to very narrow power bands and chasing revs. The SV has always felt very pokey through the gears but when cracking on I always want a massive top end hit. I hope to get 2.5k trade in for the bike.. I would probably let it go for that and sell all my bling separately.
Old 11-01-09, 04:23 PM   #6
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie_Black View Post
I'm going to ring them tommorow and try and thrash out a deal. They are in swindon and i'm in newcastle so it'll be a long distance job. I really like the sv but toward the end of last summer I found i was battering the engine a lot (rev limiter a lot). All of my experience up until the sv has been with 2 strokes and i'm used to very narrow power bands and chasing revs. The SV has always felt very pokey through the gears but when cracking on I always want a massive top end hit. I hope to get 2.5k trade in for the bike.. I would probably let it go for that and sell all my bling separately.
I dont know what year or mileage your bike has but you may well be in for a shock.

At the price they are offering there will be hardly any play in the deal.

For Example in April last year I traded my SV650 Sport in.

It has 5k or so on the clock and was a December 2006 56 plate. I got £2650 for it and it was little over 1 year old. This was also in the good times as well when traders didnt mind taking in a partex.....traders dont want anything at the moment and that will be relfected in the price they offer you.
Old 11-01-09, 04:25 PM   #7
zsv650

i got £2.2k for my 02 bike but i was jammy as hell.
Old 11-01-09, 04:27 PM   #8
Jackie_Black

Well the guy said they will happily take trade ins. The bike is 18 months old with 5.5k and new tyres. Gotta be worth 2.5k.
Old 11-01-09, 04:28 PM   #9
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650 View Post
i got £2.2k for my 02 bike but i was jammy as hell.
at a dealer against a new bike? If so that's a great price
Old 11-01-09, 04:30 PM   #10
zsv650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001 View Post
at a dealer against a new bike? If so that's a great deal
repeat custom is great for getting good deal's