SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-08-08, 11:33 AM   #1
ljm2008

Question Locks

Hi there,

I'm new here (first post actually!) and just bought a "53" plate SV650S. I don't have the bike just yet as I'm currently about 600 miles away from it! I'm looking to buy a disk lock for use at work because I don't have anywhere to chain it, and I was wondering what size I should go for? They say to measure the brake disks etc, but since I don't actually have the bike at the moment I can't measure it! Does anyone know what size I should get and also what would be a good one to go for?

Cheers!

Laura
Old 12-08-08, 04:52 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Locks

Try this link for the best buy....

As far as I know they all fit, well apart from those silly little Moped ones that are about.
Old 13-08-08, 08:19 AM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljm2008 View Post
Hi there,

I'm new here (first post actually!) and just bought a "53" plate SV650S. I don't have the bike just yet as I'm currently about 600 miles away from it! I'm looking to buy a disk lock for use at work because I don't have anywhere to chain it, and I was wondering what size I should go for? They say to measure the brake disks etc, but since I don't actually have the bike at the moment I can't measure it! Does anyone know what size I should get and also what would be a good one to go for?

Cheers!

Laura
Disk locks are useless - most motorbike thefts, the bikes just chucked in the back of a van. On my bike I have a disklock and a cable lock for round town and sometimes use both those in conjunction with a chain lock (almax are good if you can afford them but probably a bit too heavy to carry about). I'm fitting a thatcham immobiliser and smar****er to it too....
Old 13-08-08, 09:42 AM   #4
ljm2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Try this link for the best buy.....
Thanks, I'll give it a good read before going into the shops
Old 13-08-08, 09:45 AM   #5
ljm2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Disk locks are useless - most motorbike thefts, the bikes just chucked in the back of a van.
Yeah, I know the best thing is really a chain lock - I do have one of those for home and out-and-about where possible. But at work I don't think there's somewhere where I can chain it to, so in that case a disk lock is better than nothing. Do you know if all disk locks have alarms or just some of them? It would be good to have something like that too.

Interestingly, when my friend was getting an insurance quote for his bike, he put in the details saying he had no lock, then again saying he did have a lock, and surprisingly the quote went UP when he had the lock!

Laura
Old 13-08-08, 11:39 AM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

That's very odd RE the quote.
No not all disklocks have an alarm. As far as disklocks go a relatively cheap unalarmed one (20 quid and under) is as good as any other unalarmed one, as they're only really worth having to put off the opportunist thief rolling it away. Anyone else'll van it not many'll bother attacking the lock. I'd invest in some smar****er too I had it on a bike a couple of years ago - cost me 9 pounds and took 12 off the insurance...
Old 13-08-08, 12:42 PM   #7
nakedblue650

I have the Xena XN15 and very pleased indeed. Whilst its not the be all and end of security I garage every night (with van in front ) and generally never more than 20 mins parked in one place. Starting the bike sets the alarm going if it is forgotten - an unalarmed version obviuosly doesnt and lanyards are great if you remember to put it on in the first place! Also comes with a pouch that attaches under seat. Smart-water is a must if nothing else its lets the theiving gits know its traceable.

nb650