SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-10-08, 10:01 AM   #1
Demonz

Default Classic Bikes

I have been thinking of buying one of late as I rarely get out on the roads and just want something I can potter about on now and again and put in the garage to ride when I am old and grey, wheel out on a sunner day to clean ect.

I like the classic shapes of the older style bikes. My favs although some are still modern in the classic standard are the Norton Commandos, Triumph Thruxton and Royal Enfields.

Does anyone know much about these - what to avoid, pitfalls and money traps?
Old 17-10-08, 10:46 AM   #2
startrek.steve

Default Re: Classic Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoGrant View Post
I have been thinking of buying one of late as I rarely get out on the roads and just want something I can potter about on now and again and put in the garage to ride when I am old and grey, wheel out on a sunner day to clean ect.

I like the classic shapes of the older style bikes. My favs although some are still modern in the classic standard are the Norton Commandos, Triumph Thruxton and Royal Enfields.

Does anyone know much about these - what to avoid, pitfalls and money traps?
I used to have a 1965 Triumph Thunderbird, lovely looking, beautiful sound, but quite oily and very unreliable, used to destroy bulbs with the vibration! my girlfriend liked it though, 80mph was her favourite frequency!
Steve
Old 17-10-08, 11:42 AM   #3
punyXpress
Mega Poster

[quote=TuonoGrant;1657692]I have been thinking of buying one of late as I rarely get out on the roads and just want something I can potter about on now and again and put in the garage to ride when I am old and grey, wheel out on a sunner day to clean ect.

I'm old & grey & have had 5 years fun on my SV650 naked ( the bike, not me!! ) & I hope to have many more.
Never mind cleaning it - just get astride & ride it!
punyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-08, 11:53 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

Had a Commando (fastback), lovely bike, tends to loose bolts if you don't go around it tightening them constantly, brakes aren't wonderful and performance is "of it's age" shall we say, although all polished up (yes to takes a fair bit of that) it looked stunning.

Royal Enfield, I've re-built some of the early 90's imports as they really were badly built, however since then they have re-invested in new tooling and they aren't that bad these days, a bit "plodding" but good fun to ride ( you really wouldn't want one to go at todays pace ), the Electra range is a nice engine.

Triumph Thurxton, this is really a different ball park altogether, it looks old but isn't, classic looks & performace, but with out the maintinance involved, chassis, brakes and suspension are all limited, but this is part of the whole "riding classics" thing.

So if you're after a true classic the Norton is the one to go for, although, maintinance,spares, and "tinkering time" all count against.
Or the Enfield, once again needing more maintinance, although spares are easily available and cheap, but a fairly sedate pace is the most you'll want to do.

The triumph is a fairly maintinance free bike compared to the other two, as it's fairly new as well you don't have to worry about spares and you can buy various bit's of "blight" forr it straight from the Triumph catalog.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-08, 12:08 PM   #5
Grinch

Mmmh old bikes... If I ever see one going dirt cheap I'll nab it.
Old 17-10-08, 12:11 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

How much do you want to spend?The Norton Commando range are expensive as are Triumph Bonnys,but you can get a 70s Triumph Tiger(single carb Bonny)for much less.
Ever thought about a Rickman framed Jap engine bike?
Old 17-10-08, 12:11 PM   #7
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Any old british twin with straight through pipes
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-08, 12:35 PM   #8
wyrdness

On looks alone, I love the BSA A65.

Old 17-10-08, 01:22 PM   #9
stewie

Looks interesting http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...h-norton-boss/
Old 17-10-08, 01:34 PM   #10
Grinch

This was going to get sorted in 2006 and early 2008 but had trouble with backing... so I think I will wait quietly first. As the bike they are going to release, the Commando 961 has been bumping round for a little while.