SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-09-11, 09:44 PM   #1
Bri w

Default Healthcare by budget

Mum-in-law spends most of the time talking to the Pixies, and rarely knows what day of the week it is... well maybe not quite that bad.

Having Lasting Power of Attorney over her affairs we get the phone call whenever there is a change to her careplan. Today's call from the Consultant's Secretary went like this...

Sec "We're going to change your Mum's Alzheimer's medication to X,y,z because her blood test indicate problems with her COPD brought on by her current meds."

Me "Oh really. Can you please give me her Sodium and Urea levels."

Sec "Why do you want them?"

Me "So I Can discuss them with her GP, the budget holder for her care and the Practice that's paying you for her care."

Sec"I need to talk to the Consultant but I don't think with can discuss them with you."

Me "Actually your records will show that we have LPoA and you have to tell us what they are. And if you can talk to the Consultant now you can put him on the phone to me."

Needless to say he wasn't available, and the call ended shortly after. A quick call to MIL's GP soon confirmed that, via his computor access, there's nothing wrong with MIL's sodium and urea levels and this is nothing but a cost cutting exercise by way of putting her on cheap meds that aren't anything like as good.

MIL's GP has told the Consultant just who the budget holder is and what meds she needs to be on. But don't you just wonder just what happens to all those who don't have someone who understands, or fights their corner, when things go pear shaped.

Yours, disgusted of M'bro

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.

Last edited by Bri w; 22-09-11 at 07:50 AM.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-11, 10:42 PM   #2
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Default Re: Healthcare by budget

That is disgraceful Bri...maybe write to your local MP and to watchdog, maybe the local rag. It may not change things persay...but it might get the message out to a few more people who won't be so quick to put blind faith in the system in future.

Very glad for your MIL that she has someone fighting her corner!
Old 22-09-11, 07:45 AM   #3
-Ralph-

Default Re: Healthcare by budget

I didn't understand any of that, other than somebody tried to stick her on cheaper drugs for no reason. Disgusting. Who was that somebody? The NHS? A private care home being paid by the NHS? Don't understand how these things work.