SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Madlanders For those based in the East & West Midlands.

Old 26-06-11, 10:49 PM   #521
Dr. M

Default Re: Madlanders Eyeball Thread

Noble Ox, I think I saw you today, did you ride past the dental practice on widney road near bently heath/ knowle and saw someone frantically waving?? I got quite excited, never seen anyone off the org
Old 26-06-11, 11:01 PM   #522
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno.reaper View Post
I got quite excited, never seen anyone off the org
Easy way to sort that, get yourself on the next rideout, we are a welcoming bunch
Old 27-06-11, 12:20 AM   #523
Noble Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno.reaper View Post
Noble Ox, I think I saw you today, did you ride past the dental practice on widney road near bently heath/ knowle and saw someone frantically waving?? I got quite excited, never seen anyone off the org
Yes mate! Live on Moorfield avenue, Just off Widney Road.

Saying that, you were lucky to see me... - I had the most bizarre ride today Riding toward Warwick on the Warwick Road and a very large tree fell in front of me and the car infront! I stopped 2 feet from the tree after squeezing through the gap between an emergency braking car and the kirb; whilst I tried to scrub off around 60-70mph! Brand new BMW's stop extremely fast I can tell you! So easily could have rear ended it.

Can't believe how much I thought about it in the short amount of time, glad I didn't panic! I began to emergency brake hard on the front but decided I wouldn't be able to stop before the back of the car. Came off the front a fair bit in order to help me steer into the seemingly miniature gap.

I'm not sure whether this was correct thing to do anyone? But luckily everything's fine. The back did lock up which I know isn't great. Was coming off the front the best thing to do in this situation? (Faster stopping car in front, steering to avoid it?) or should I have stuck hard with the front brake and just hoped it stopped? Did coming off even help me steer or could I have steered just as well whilst braking the front hard?

Want to try and learn from this. Might make a thread?

Aran
Old 27-06-11, 01:02 AM   #524
beabert

You stopped without incident, id say whatever you did it worked well lol.
Old 27-06-11, 09:07 AM   #525
MisterTommyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by beabert View Post
You stopped without incident, id say whatever you did it worked well lol.
+ 1

Maybe an argument for the 'swerve' being kept in the mod 1?
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-11, 09:39 AM   #526
Dr. M

Quote:
Easy way to sort that, get yourself on the next rideout, we are a welcoming bunch
Sounds like a plan, when're you madlanders next out on to the roads?

N.O sounds like quite a scare, but seems like you did the right thing, like Beabert said whatever you have to do to stop yourself... But I have to say I'd have kept my front on hard and maybe added a bit of rear? Still relatively inexperienced though so may be talking complete nonsense but glad you're OK anyway.

Quote:
+ 1

Maybe an argument for the 'swerve' being kept in the mod 1?
I'm not sure it should be still, swerving is kinda a "natural instinct" I see no reason to practice it in a situation that is basically role play, where no natural instinct is actually used and also may be creating a danger instead of preventing one... Your body can react and do amazing things when it's in danger

Dan

Last edited by Dr. M; 27-06-11 at 09:41 AM.
Old 27-06-11, 11:28 AM   #527
Specialone

According to the training we all have had, it's supposed to be both brakes in an emergency stop situation, but from experience, if you give it loads of front the back goes lighter so is easy to lock up, so best to come off that and reapply if that happens.

As beabert said, if you stopped without incident or accident, you did the right thing in that particular situation, but going deeper, the iam guys would say you shouldn't have been too close in the first place.

If you're braking and you've got doubts it's not gonna stop in time, chances are it's not, so having the calm head to come off your brakes, which goes against what your heads saying is wrong, shows you was in control.
Most people would probably panic or target fixate and actually hit the thing they are trying to miss.

Top work
Old 28-06-11, 11:02 AM   #528
Noble Ox

Old 28-06-11, 12:03 PM   #529
Noble Ox

Yeah obviously if I were riding further behind it would have helped. I wasn't particularly riding close to the car, I just didn't expect the car to need to emergency stop at all! No junctions, fast sweeping bend, quite a blind corner. So the car noticed the tree before it was in my line of view. I stopped literally two foot before the tree above in the same position in the road as the picture. I had to roll it back as if was still falling to my side when I came to a stop! I was more interested in finding neutral than the tree rolling towards me, which upset the passenger of the car, who was panicking and screaming at me to 'move back it's still falling'!

Last edited by Noble Ox; 28-06-11 at 12:04 PM.
Old 28-06-11, 12:06 PM   #530
Noble Ox

Anyway, Bassett Pole tonight ladies?

Should be heading down if the weather holds.