SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-08-07, 10:15 AM   #1
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Difference between 999 & 112

I heard the following from a trustworthy source elsewhere, can anyone back it up?
Quote:
I am on my 1st aid refresher - and the trainer is ex Fire service. I learnt something useful today which I thought it might be useful to share here-

If you need to make an emergency call from your mobile you should NOT use 999 - you should use 112.

999 calls will gradually be faded out - and are directed to your mobile phone companies own masts. The call also gets directed to your phone companies call centre who then have to transfer it to emergency services.

112 calls are directed to the nearest mast whatever airtime you are on so you get the best signal and the call is directed straight to an emergency services call centre. The new technology means that the emergency services can triangulate your position too. 112 works all over Europe
(Ps posted in this section after careful thought)
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 10:26 AM   #2
SV225

Default Re: Difference between 999 & 112

I always wondered what 112 did. All my phones would dial 999 and 112 with locked keypad.
Old 09-08-07, 11:48 AM   #3
El Saxo

Seems a bit weird to me - I was under the impression that 999 calls work regardless of network, and regardless of having credit etc on your phone. I remember having a couple of mobile phones that would display 'Emergency Calls Only' instead of the network operator's name when the phone was out of range of it's own provider, but was in range of another network i.e. the other network would carry the emergency call.

I knew that 112 existed but thought it was just an alternative number that would work internationally.
Old 09-08-07, 12:02 PM   #4
chazzyb

As I understand it, 112 is the GSM world-standard emergency number, and is used on all GSM networks. Arguably, 999 is the alternative number on your mobile.
Old 09-08-07, 12:05 PM   #5
pencil shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo View Post
Seems a bit weird to me - I was under the impression that 999 calls work regardless of network, and regardless of having credit etc on your phone. I remember having a couple of mobile phones that would display 'Emergency Calls Only' instead of the network operator's name when the phone was out of range of it's own provider, but was in range of another network i.e. the other network would carry the emergency call.

I knew that 112 existed but thought it was just an alternative number that would work internationally.
Thats how I know it to be, 112 is the International '999'.
and when you have no network covarage making an emergancy call will be routed through another network.

I dont think they will faze out '999', unless they are going to privatise it to '118 999' "please hold while we route your call through China" or some other such junk.
Old 09-08-07, 12:11 PM   #6
chazzyb

112 also works on landlines. Go on, try it . (no, don't).
Old 09-08-07, 12:16 PM   #7
thor

Don't emergency calls also get priority over other conversations?
Old 09-08-07, 12:22 PM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

2 numbers that do the same thing, both take priority and will use any network to get through, both (As I understand it) go to the same call centre. I believe you can use 911 as well

The rubbish that's been spouted about the 112 number is amazing, I was once sent an email saying that due to satellite usage it would work on the Underground.....
Old 09-08-07, 12:44 PM   #9
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

So has anyone ever called 112 from a mobile?
I know that evertime I've called 999 from a mobile I've had an operator put me through and quoted my number to the emergency services. Does that happen with 112 as this would suggest it doesn't.

edit: actually I'm confused now because you are always calling an operator on 999 because they don't know which service you require, & I've never had 2 operators, only one operator then the service.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 12:53 PM   #10
svpilot

Some more info here:

http://www.snopes.com/science/mobile.asp

A great source of info for all urban myths etc. Just use info obtained from snopes.com wisely, no one likes a smart ass

Sometimes it's best not to let the truth get in the way of a good story...