SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-03-05, 01:07 PM   #1
Pensioner Pete

Default Charity rider tragedy

I expect more than a few will have heard about Simon Millward, former FEMA Rep, MAG member and more recently, since 2000, been riding around the world at his own expense, but raising funds to buy bikes for use by medics in far off places, where road are virtually non-existant.
He has a website, search for Millwards Millenium Ride, to see where he has been. Tragically, I am informed that he has been killed in an accident somewhere in Africa. Not sure where, but not far from last leg before crossing into Europe. Press releases being prepared.
Sorrow is expressed for biker doing something he enjoyed, but benefitting others. Remember Simon Millward.
Old 08-03-05, 01:10 PM   #2
Cronos

Indeed, couldn't have put it better Pete.

R.I.P.
Old 08-03-05, 01:11 PM   #3
shutdown

Simon Milward Tragically Killed in Africa

It is with great regret that we must tell you that Simon Milward, the former General Secretary
of the Federation of European Motorcyclists Associations (FEMA) has died in a road accident
in Africa while on a round the world charity fund-raising motorcycle ride.

Simon, who set out on what he called The Millennium Ride at the beginning of 2000 was
raising funds for charities providing medical assistance via motorcycles in poor countries.

He had reached the West African state of Mali in West Africa on his way back to Europe when
the accident occurred.

Details from the authorities are minimal at present but we shall post more on MAG's website
as information becomes available.

Initiatives have been made to repatriate his body and we shall post bulletins on the website to
advise of further arrangements.

Anyone wishing to recognise the selfless work Simon so enthusiastically committed himself
to, may like to visit his website for details regarding donations to his charities.

www.millennium-ride.com

All of us at MAG UK wish to express our sympathy to Simon's family and his many friends
around the world. His loss leaves a huge gap in all our lives.

Ian Mutch

MAG President
Old 08-03-05, 01:12 PM   #4
Anonymous

http://www.millennium-ride.com/

Sad indeed. But doing what he loved and helping others.
Old 08-03-05, 02:58 PM   #5
cosmiccharlie

Sorry to hear the news , used to like following his progress on the website, seemed a great trip, hope his work doesnt come undone and others take over and perhaps carry on his work
Old 08-03-05, 03:46 PM   #6
Iansv

RIP

Senseless, Hope some good can come from the donations though

Old 08-03-05, 06:26 PM   #7
Sudoxe

Speaking to my Boss, who is a MAG member, he had met him a few times. A sad loss

Lets hope the good work stays.

Dan
Old 08-03-05, 07:48 PM   #8
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

He was only 30!!!

Poor guy At least he went doing something so worthwhile.

and i'd never heard of him before having to discover it in this sad way.

What a man, no doubt riding with the angels now. RIP stranger. RIP brother.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-05, 08:25 AM   #9
Amanda M

So sorry to hear such awful news. Poor guy.
Old 09-03-05, 09:24 AM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Sad news.

I met Simon a couple of times at MAG meetings, nice guy, very commited to furthering and protecting riders rights, I remember the meeting in Trafalgar Square a few years back, he gave a most rousing and animated speech .

Motorcycling has lost a character and a champion, shame.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote