SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-04-11, 11:04 PM   #11
wyrdness

Default Re: Had my first flying experience (pics)

That looks like great fun. I've got a voucher from work for an introductory flying lesson. Must remember to book it before the voucher runs out.
Old 28-04-11, 11:30 PM   #12
Bri w

Nice one Thulfi!

I had the pleasure of going in the glider tow a few times at Booker, near High Wycombe. And have had a good few flights in my mates glider. The weirdest thing with gliders is the silence, and its just beautiful!!!

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-11, 11:43 PM   #13
toxic

I would blow chunks srsly.
Old 28-04-11, 11:48 PM   #14
anna
Mega Poster

Glad you had a good time, the pilots licence isnt the expensive bit, its keeping current that´s the money bit later

Syndicates for planes, gliders etc are very common, the only problem is when someone within the group mis-treats them and then the repair and insurance bill is also split between syndicate members.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-11, 05:47 AM   #15
Essex of Essex

Question Re: Had my first flying experience (pics)

Just for the record, you can't learn to fly by finding a chap with an aircraft and paying for the fuel You will need structured lessons at a school, and the pilot has to be qualified to give instruction, an experienced pilot is not automatically qualified to do so.

The whole thing is very addictive, motorcycling in 3 dimensions
Old 29-04-11, 06:41 AM   #16
MrTom

Well I just saw your 1st picture and got a bit excited as it's a picture of a very familiar sight having just lived the last year of my life at Cranfield. 'Your' aeroplane is G-RATE, right?
Old 29-04-11, 01:18 PM   #17
thulfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex of Essex View Post
Just for the record, you can't learn to fly by finding a chap with an aircraft and paying for the fuel You will need structured lessons at a school, and the pilot has to be qualified to give instruction, an experienced pilot is not automatically qualified to do so.
You can always learn, it just won't count towards anything. Plus this guy isn't a qualified instructor, so even if I were to get a licence I couldn't log up hours flying with him. Still great fun going up with him though until I eventually save up and do an intense course in the states. As anna correctly mentioned though, it's the keeping it current and trying to log up as many hours as possible after obtaining the licence thats the costly part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
And have had a good few flights in my mates glider. The weirdest thing with gliders is the silence, and its just beautiful!!!
This guy really recommended gliding as a cheap way of starting to learn to fly, plus it helps subsidise future flying lessons. I'd love to have a go in a glider, especially as you rightly mentioned that they're completely silent. What a feeling that must be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTom View Post
Well I just saw your 1st picture and got a bit excited as it's a picture of a very familiar sight having just lived the last year of my life at Cranfield. 'Your' aeroplane is G-RATE, right?
Yep it's a G-rate. Actually it flys a lot smoother than one might imagine. Did you head out to the airstrip much then?
Old 29-04-11, 01:23 PM   #18
thulfi

*deleted, wrong thread
Old 29-04-11, 01:29 PM   #19
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

An idea I've had for ages is a homebuilt plane.
Hopefully I'll have the money to do it one day!

If not for the law I'd have done it already

One to wet your whistle
http://www.ar-5.com/rgoyer94.html
Old 29-04-11, 02:39 PM   #20
diamond

I've just got into gliding, if there is an airfield near you just pop along all gliding clubs welcome kean newcomers. At the club i belong to anyone can turn up and have a basic lesson (no such thing as just a pleasure flight in gliding you have to learn something if you go up) ours is about £40 for 2 winch launchs and as long as you can get the instructor to stay in the air each time.
My club is based at upavon and the empire tesr pilot school send all there pilots there to learn to glide as part of their training.

It is awesome fun and the launch feels like accelerating my ducati whilst on crack.

Last edited by diamond; 29-04-11 at 02:41 PM.