SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-19, 04:45 PM   #1
Freespirit

Default Jerking

Hello all jus wondered if anyone had any ideas on what this problem is Just had the clutch plates fitted she run beautiful for a while full response on the throttle was like a diffrent bike few small more problems poking up now .. she's a k1 by the way so she's old .. from cold she idles rough even when she's running I've had the carbs cleaned I'm thinking the choke plungers or somethings stuck somewhere she climbs slightly on idle goes from 2000 to 3 then back down then back up almost like an invisible hand is cracking the throttle.. Also just now ran into work with her and she's just started jerking a bit and losing power then coming back on I think it's spark but would like a few opinions maybe a new set of carbs is the way forward. TIA
Freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-19, 05:21 PM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Jerking

For starters check that the seals inside the Airbox have not been malformed and are a secure fit to the Air intakes underneath the Air-filter.
Old 25-04-19, 06:13 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

And the two crankcase breather tubes are properly fitted to the airbox. In fact check for air leaks on all the tubing. Then service the choke plungers. Then check the throttle cables for correct free play as they would have been disturbed when the carbs were cleaned. Water in the front plug recess? Lots to do before drastic stuff like new carbs.
Old 25-04-19, 06:45 PM   #4
Freespirit

Talking Re: Jerking

Thanks alot guys I'm.not very mechanically minded but I'll get someone to have a look cheers
Old 25-04-19, 06:46 PM   #5
Freespirit

Actually onkybstarted jerking after it rained and I no my bike hates the rain more than likely the front cylinder thanks alot.
Old 25-04-19, 06:47 PM   #6
Freespirit

Sorry too sound stupid what's the best method to check for air leaks on all the hosing.
Old 25-04-19, 07:46 PM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespirit View Post
Actually onkybstarted jerking after it rained and I no my bike hates the rain more than likely the front cylinder thanks alot.
There are drain holes in the Cylinder tops to allows moisture to drain out.If they get blocked it can cause your Symptoms.It's happed so many times over the years on SVs it has it's own knick-name e.g the SV325
Old 26-04-19, 09:37 AM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
There are drain holes in the Cylinder tops to allows moisture to drain out.If they get blocked it can cause your Symptoms.It's happed so many times over the years on SVs it has it's own knick-name e.g the SV325
Some people pack inside the bottom of front plug cap with 'dielectric silicon grease' ( rubber friendly, high melting point and good with electricity ) keep it away from electrical contact at top as it is a good insulator.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=silicon...sl_7o364ijr8_b

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 26-04-19 at 09:41 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-19, 10:15 AM   #9
Gordon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Some people pack inside the bottom of front plug cap with 'dielectric silicon grease' ( rubber friendly, high melting point and good with electricity ) keep it away from electrical contact at top as it is a good insulator.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=silicon...sl_7o364ijr8_b
+1 on that it worked a treat on mine.
Gordon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-19, 11:08 AM   #10
Freespirit

Smile Re: Jerking

Well after everyone's reply I've decided to order the silicone grease you've shown me and bought a fender extender from rng thanks for all your replys it's appreciated.