SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-02-19, 09:07 AM   #11
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: car buying conundrum

I would make them a counter offer of what you are prepared to pay. When the car is handed back they just get an auction company to come and pick it up, check for damage (fair wear and tear policy) then put through the auction. My works lease company wanted £8700 for my old car (invoice was £18k OTR, not the 24K list) but got £5400 at auction. Knowing that now, I would make an offer of trade price - pointing out they now have no disposal costs.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-19, 07:56 AM   #12
tj2

I contacted motability about our Octavia, due to be returned in a couple of months.
Not quite 3 yrs old and 35k miles. Non negotiable price of £10950...………. ouch. I was expecting around £7-8k.
Need to go to the auction and see if I can get it for that ! Other option is to just have a new one, but they are now asking for a £2k upfront payment, whereas the last was £600.
So.……… do I spend the mobility component on a motability vehicle, or buy 2 or 3 sh1tters a year as and when they break down? Good affordable 2nd hand cars are hard to come by due to the various scrappage schemes.

Terry
tj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-19, 09:29 AM   #13
Bibio
Mega Poster

the yeti goes back today as i decided i'm not getting myself into debt for a car that i never use.

went up to the mates care sales and got myself a 12 year old merc a class 180 2ltr d auto. i'm now an auto box convert, auto's are superb a genuine 50mpg (avg over half a tank of fuel) is not bad from a 12 year old car.

furkin insurance was staggering though due to having no no claims. no matter what car i got a quote for it was between £500 and £600. my brain still cant comprehend what i paid..
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-19, 11:46 AM   #14
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the yeti goes back today as i decided i'm not getting myself into debt for a car that i never use.

went up to the mates care sales and got myself a 12 year old merc a class 180 2ltr d auto. i'm now an auto box convert, auto's are superb a genuine 50mpg (avg over half a tank of fuel) is not bad from a 12 year old car.

furkin insurance was staggering though due to having no no claims. no matter what car i got a quote for it was between £500 and £600. my brain still cant comprehend what i paid..
I bet you paid 600 for the car

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-19, 03:56 PM   #15
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Auto boxes are fine until they need any work done on them then ££££'s

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote