SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-09-12, 03:33 PM   #11
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Rust in fuel tank, options ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
The POR15 is apparently OK.

Kreem I have heard this coming loose inside with modern fuels.
Its the ethanol, seems to be the US that sound Kreem wasn't resistant (along with plastic tanks).
Kreem has been reformulated in the last year or so

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 01:44 PM   #12
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
stick some nuts/bolts in then tank with some phosphoric acid (krust or similar) and 'shake' (like sieving flour) the hell out of it. remove nuts/bolts and excess liquid then let cure overnight. once cured swirl some petrol around and empty out.
Tried that method with and old VFR 400 tank, it kinda works, Classic bike mag took that one stage furher though by bubble wrapping the tank and attching it securely to the inside of a cement mixer ! gonna give it a clean out and take it from there I think, thanks for advice guys
Old 20-09-12, 02:58 PM   #13
stewie

Well I gave the tank a good cleaning out and it came out pretty good for an old bike but now its sprung a tiny pinhole leak so going to go down the POR 15 route as suggested but was thinking of getting the tank stripped of its paint, so I thought about using nitromors but heard its got mixed reviews, are there any alternatives anyone can recommend, clutch fluid for example ? Dizzy mentioned using a badass stripper in an earlier post so I googled badass strippers....and you can guess the result
Ta

Last edited by stewie; 20-09-12 at 03:17 PM.
Old 20-09-12, 07:12 PM   #14
widepants

You are a bad man
widepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-12, 07:39 PM   #15
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Well I have had a chat with I & M Auto Body Repairs, they can do me the whole job, but its not going to be cheap and as I'm after having 2 tanks done I think I'm going to have to take a slightly different route. So an acid dip for me it is.

However while chatting to I & M we discussed the various approaches. And to clear the outside of the tank from paint the two main options were, thinners or paint removers, and blasting. The removers can be done at home but will take some time to do and will involve a lot of time and effort but is comparatively cheap. Blasting on the other hand is quicker, can be done at home with the right equipment or you can get a local blasting company to do it for you and shouldn't cost to much. The thing with blasting is you need to use the right media so not to damage the metal and then to make sure you get it all out if any gets in the tank.

I suppose I will have the same sort of problem with the acid dip. I will need to be sure that all the acid is out and no longer reacting. If there are holes in the tank then I will need to get that sorted. Will also need to get the outside primed and painted sharpish and in use so not to undo the good work of the acid from the dip as I don't think I'm going to use any internal coatings.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote