SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-04-14, 11:15 AM   #1
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Talking Road Rage - Do you?

Yesterday the wife and I were out on our bikes together to get some shopping, she tends to lead because she has a sense of direction ( she naturally points North if allowed to float in a swimming pool! ) and I follow because I get lost trying to find my 'arris from my elbow!

Anyway, on the dual carriage way towards Morrison's in Weston there is a four lane round about that has traffic lights on it and two of the lanes are for going straight on. The left hand lane was full of cars and trucks and we were in the right hand lane. Carol was about ten meters in front of me when she passed an old lady driving a small boxy shaped car stopped in the queue. As I approached the car and was about to pass, she pulled put and attempted to change lanes with no indication or even a check of her mirrors. I managed to brake and swerve, missing the front wing of her car by enough that I nearly soiled my self.

The lights were red and she had moved forwards by no more than ten meters at the very most. I drew up next to her and shouted the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry scared Jayney
What the F**k do you think you were doing? Why did you not look before you pulled out on me?
My heart was racing, I was trembling slightly from the adrenalin and had my sun visor down so must have looked quite a sight. She had her windows up and the radio on so if she heard anything at all I would be surprised. When she looked up at me, she waved me away with an irritated shake of her hand and mouthed that she could not be expected to see every one.

Never before have I had a road rage incident, never before have I confronted someone when they nearly had me or even when they did knock me. In the accident I had in Bristol last year, I did not even raise my voice when the driver said that she had not even bothered to look in her mirrors because she was running late in picking up her kids from school.

So come on you lot, do you shout at drivers who frighten you? I have heard and have even seen some bikers who get off their bikes and shout through the windows of stopped cars. I have heard of one person who gobbed into an open topped sports car. I have even heard of people who will escalate into a fight.

What do you do when something like this happens to you? Are you a calm quiet type or are you the get off and fight type?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-14, 12:09 PM   #2
cb1000rsteve

Default Re: Road Rage - Do you?

Usually a thump the window and a good old shout usually makes me feel better. Worst I had was smashing a mirror off then (as it was still attached ) threw it at the little twit but, his mate had thrown a coke at me so was deliberate!! This was on my commute and since this the youth has given me plenty of room when over taking me.
Old 05-04-14, 12:17 PM   #3
GlosGambit

I'm a pretty chill kinda guy, I don't see the need to kick off about something that's happened in the past...

That said, if someone is an idiot and wants a fight, I'll be the guy in head to to armour, wearing a very protective helmet, with the hard-knuckled gloves... bring it on!

I learnt a phrase from a customer at work about how he defuses road rage situations... he says: "Before we get into an argument, please let me tell you two things about myself. One, I have a personality disorder. Two, I have a penchant for violence. Shall we continue?" I couldn't stop laughing - apparently the guy got back in his car on the double!
Old 05-04-14, 12:28 PM   #4
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Road Rage - Do you?

Depends, I have had people pull out on me a number of times. If they are polite, acknowledge their error and apologise then no worries.

If it was like your situation then I don't know how far I would have gone. Being a woman she certainly would have been better off than a bloke. Maybe a quick smack on the window.

I have in the past been very very tempted to grab keys when windows were open and then accidentally launch them as far as possible in the most awkward to locate again direction.

So in summary, it depends on the drivers reaction.
Old 05-04-14, 12:31 PM   #5
GlosGambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroUK View Post
I have in the past been very very tempted to grab keys when windows were open and then accidentally launch them as far as possible in the most awkward to locate again direction.
My colleague at work says this is the best method for getting revenge - it certainly teaches them not to do it again!
Old 05-04-14, 12:34 PM   #6
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Road Rage - Do you?

I can imagine. Only bugger is a lot of cars nowadays seem to have the keys on the left of the wheel!
Old 05-04-14, 01:18 PM   #7
rockchunk

trouble with road rage is you havent got the time to do your homework,,, you really have no idea who you are confronting or what they are capable of ,,example kenneth noye !!!!!!
Old 05-04-14, 02:16 PM   #8
JM2

Hoo yes. But it doesn't make it right. It does however make me feel a whole lot better and able to carry on more calmly.

The odd driver knows they've done wrong by me, but generally I (try) and count to ten first and by then I'm often gone and they don't count anymore.

The dafties I'd try and educate - the nutters, agressors, madmen with axes or multitude of mates (showing off) are best left to their own devices.
JM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-14, 02:52 PM   #9
Spank86

I don't care about the consequences enough to get angry, plus the adrenaline shot is quite invigorating so instead of rage it usually flips the "be a ****" switch in my head and if given an opportunity I proceed to have fun with the offending party, if lacking the opportunity I just ratchet up the speed of my riding.

I don't recommend this approach to anyone else mind you.
Old 05-04-14, 03:14 PM   #10
Fallout
Mega Poster

Don't suffer from road rage. Everyone makes mistakes. However, someone like that who doesnt show any remorse or ounce of responsibility could do with a lesson. What that lesson is, and whether I'd choose to deal it out, I don't know. Somethinghas to be done about people who don't give a **** and have no chance of learning from the mistake though. Ideally, excution and elimination of all members of the family with 25% or more of their genes.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote